these guys bring in millions and millions of dollars in revenue, that's why their salaries are so high... they're really not worth it, but according to their books, he's easily affordable for them... that's how the world of american sports works, we're used to it...

they have to also pay japan $20M just to sign him...

Right? The only guy in the MLB that is worth a 10 year contract is Trout and that's only because he's so young.... He would still be in his prime when his contract is up.

I must admit, I don't mind Kershaw's contract. The big bogey is that he's a pitcher and one elbow away from $30m in wasted money. I don't mind Detroit throwing $30m per year at Cabrera, he's worth it in my opinion, but only for five years. MLB needs to cap contract lengths to protect teams from themselves.

it's a trend that won't end until baseball steps in and does something about it... cabrera's contract was just falling in line with all the other previous ones... but he's not gonna pull a pujols and fall off the map, this guy is the real deal, and will be for at least 5 years...

like i said, it's not my money, it's my owner's money... and how he wants to spend it is up to him... i'm just glad to see that cabrera will be a tiger for life, and will go into the hall of fame as a tiger... he's truly one of the best pure hitters in the history of the game... his hand/eye coordination is probably only matched by barry bonds... that's a skill he can carry on well into his late 30's and at the end of this deal when he's chasing down lifetime records...

but yea, way to much, but not really when you consider the ridiculousness of contracts these days...

LOL that Cabrera contract is a virtual guarantee to not be worth it. If you're going by FanGraphs WAR converted to $ values, he's only been worth what he's going to be making on average over the next 10 years on three occasions (the last 3 years). When you consider he's a power-hitting 1st baseman, who's a few years into his prime already, this is an absolutely terrible contract. I predict his SLG% is down by 100 points, and his OBP is down by over 50 points in about 5 years.

Mike Trout's contract on the other hand is definitely worth it. He's young and likely has his best years ahead of him. He's a better overall player than Cabrera, too.

of course trout's contract is worth it over cabrera... he's only 22... don't think that cabrera was the last of these ridiculous 10 year deals, it's become the norm for 30-something superstars who are seeking new contracts... blame the owners... just wait until trout is up for negotiations in 5-7 years... i'll bet you he gets 10 years and at least $350M...

and besides, cabrera is so worth the deal anyways... all the MVP's he's earned and yet to earn, the triple crown, the annual batting title he seems to get every year, the respect he gets from opposing pichers, etc... bark at the contract all you want, but just remember, this guy is the most dangerous hitter in baseball... even hampered by a groin injury, he still put up big numbers last year...

i don't know how else to word this; my owner doesn't give a shit about the money, he wants a championship... that's more than i can say for other teams and their owners... he's been giving out big $$$ lately because he desperately wants to win one before he dies...

of course trout's contract is worth it over cabrera... he's only 22... don't think that cabrera was the last of these ridiculous 10 year deals, it's become the norm for 30-something superstars who are seeking new contracts... blame the owners... just wait until trout is up for negotiations in 5-7 years... i'll bet you he gets 10 years and at least $350M...

and besides, cabrera is so worth the deal anyways... all the MVP's he's earned and yet to earn, the triple crown, the annual batting title he seems to get every year, the respect he gets from opposing pichers, etc... bark at the contract all you want, but just remember, this guy is the most dangerous hitter in baseball... even hampered by a groin injury, he still put up big numbers last year...

i don't know how else to word this; my owner doesn't give a shit about the money, he wants a championship... that's more than i can say for other teams and their owners... he's been giving out big $$$ lately because he desperately wants to win one before he dies...

You win titles by getting the most value out of your team, not by signing great players for way too much until they're 40. I'm sorry, but that's what the Yankees have been doing, and they're looking like they're about the go into the toilet here. They might actually spend their way out of it, but it's pretty pathetic when you consider the Rays will probably easily compete with them despite spending a fraction of what they did on their team. Go figure.

Cabrera isn't worth it dude. Hate to break it to you, but while he might be worth it in the immediate future he's almost guaranteed to not earn the value of this contract. 30M a year for a 1st baseman is a lot of money. You spend that kind of money on a centerfielder, catcher, or a shortstop just entering their primes and who has had a great resume to fall back on. You absolutely do not spend that kind of money on a first baseman who's already several years into his prime.

wow, you sure know your stuff, you should run a baseball team -_-...

seriously, for teams like the tigers, money isn't an issue... we can afford to spend money on a player like that... and last i checked, you can still win championships by spending money... and my team does get great value out of it's pieces... AL central champs 3 years in a row, back to back cy young winners, the last 3 MVP's, and a slew of other accomplishments including a couple of recent world series appearances... didn't win the big one but either way, the deal is done and my team has the best hitter in baseball locked up for the duration of his career...

that's all i see when i look at the deal... i see cabrera wearing the old english D for many many years to come... i want to see him break milestones and records wearing the old english D, it's awesome to have a player of his caliber representing my team...

i don't care how much the deal is for... like i said, it's not my money... obviously it's affordable to my owner...