Sign in to follow this  
TreeFitty

Number of discs/Size of GTA 5

Opinions  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As was literally just revealed, L.A. Noire fills a 25 GB Blu-Ray disc for the PlayStation 3 and will span 3 discs for the Xbox 360. So do you think the next Grand Theft Auto game will be so big or contain so much content that it will need multiple discs or will Rockstar stick to 1 disc for all?

With the L.A. Noire reveal, I think the next GTA might go onto 2 discs for the 360. I'm not sure how they would split it up though. Maybe half the main story on each. Even if the map is huge, I don't think they'll split that since it would take away from the free roaming a little.

Thoughts?

Guest Mr Bates

2 X 25 GB Blu-Ray discs on the PS3 would be amazing but would that mean a crazy 6 discs for the 360 though?

Microsoft is going to need to get their finger out and allow content discs to be installed to the hard drive. The motion capture data just takes up too much space (and will leave a 10 disc version for the 360 if they include the full-body motion that's being rumoured). They're releasing a new format in the next dashboard update so they can squeeze another GB or so but that's going to be no where near enough.

Also I thought the PS3 supported dual layer BDs? So just have one dual layer BD for 50GB rather than 2 25s...

hahahahehehahaha.

Im sorry I'll try to hold back my inner fanboy.

tbh, it'd annoy me a bit at first but i suppose you know the game is going to be higher quality with the space it takes up.

but i have a ps3 (sorry) :)

Yeah unfortunately the multi-disc issue is towards the Xbox only. I don't think there will be so much content for GTA 5 that Rockstar uses more than one Blu-Ray. Back to my first post, I think we'll see 2 discs for Xbox max.

exactly, as the article says, la noire is ok with 3 discs because its not free roam so maybe they realised they could do it. gta would be more difficult though, image having to change the disc when you travel to another island

this is assuming rockstar use the motion scan technology that la noire uses, what if they stick to gta iv style and its one disc per console

Problem is I think IV was at the DVD limits so if they want to really expand the map/gameplay they'll need to go multi-disc.

I'm just goin to throw this out there, how about some add on for the xbox, maybe a blu ray player add on similar to the HD DVD one they did. If someone wanted to get higher quality games then surely they wouldnt mind the initial fee

its fine for me with the ps3 but i dont like the idea of multidisc games.

i dont think 360 would ever have a blu ray add-on, isnt blu-ray a sony product? not sure about that

not to get into a fan boy battle here but for microsoft to move forwardly technology related and put an end to multidisc games would they not need to invent a disc with a higher space capacity which they already tried and failed to do so.

Edit: obviously this will happen in the next gen. but for now it sucks for 360 users to have to switch disc

• Like 1

Guest Mr Bates

Regarding this talk of MotionScan in the next GTA - I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that MotionScan is unlikely to be used, if I find it I'll come back. Also, I was told by someone that it is definitely already being implemented in another game atm though they gave no indication of which game.

not to get into a fan boy battle here but for microsoft to move forwardly technology related and put an end to multidisc games would they not need to invent a disc with a higher space capacity which they already tried and failed to do so.

Edit: obviously this will happen in the next gen. but for now it sucks for 360 users to have to switch disc

?? No they haven't. They backed HD-DVD for movies but didn't use it for games. It's a pity they didn't because there would have been no reason to give up on it even after BD won the format war.

Also I thought the PS3 supported dual layer BDs? So just have one dual layer BD for 50GB rather than 2 25s...

i was going to mention this...

i think it's realistic to think that GTAV will be at least 2 discs on the 360... R* packs a lot of content into their games... but they did manage to pack a lot of stuff into a single disc for RDR so, i guess it's possible that they can get it to fit on one... but if R* is expanding the GTA universe, it's easy to say that the data for V will be far greater than the data from RDR...

so i still say 2 discs... and if they implement the facial tech from LA noire, we could be looking at 3 to 4 discs...

How many layers are 360 disc's on now 3,4? is it like 4.7gb per layer or something?

I don't see why they don't just have dual-sided dual layer discs giving them selves just under the amount of data storage as a blu-ray... it would save them on amount of discs!

If GTA 5 had six, seven even eight disks it wouldn't stop me from buying it.

its fine for me with the ps3 but i dont like the idea of multidisc games.

i dont think 360 would ever have a blu ray add-on, isnt blu-ray a sony product? not sure about that

Blu-ray is for everbody.

its de succesor of the dvd.

And it is invented with Philips and Sony(kinda funny the are rivals :P).

The 360 will never be able to have blu-ray just because the 360 have a dvd player and not blu-ray.

I think the next xbox will have blu-ray just because the want to follow nintendo(that will release a new console in 2012 with blu-ray and probably GTA V will be released near the launch date of the console )

I'm actualy not 100% sure if nintendo will use blu ray probably the will because they gonna use an 25GB disk and blu ray is the only disk were you can put 25GB of data.

So if you ever want blu ray you need to buy the next xbox .

when the next xbox will be release is probably some where in 2013-2014.

HD DVD is invented by toshiba btw.

I think MS is backing downloadable games rather than Blu-ray or another optical format for this gen. Optical discs don't offer the read speeds you need to stream or copy hi-res textures and other data to the cache.

By the time the next Xbox comes out they could use some kind of proprietary USB flash drive to run or install games from, or something. The new Thunderbolt port offers something like 10Gbps transfer speeds and USB 3.0 isn't too shabby either, and 64GB USB drives are already getting cheap, so the technology is there.

25 discs for 360

2 discs for PS3

(hopes)

I'd actually love to see a game with that many discs xD

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7552/bdlo00mh9.jpg

25... :lol:

Haha. One of my games is on 11 or 12 disks, I think it maybe was Monkey Island 2. It's funny to hear new generation gamers think of disk swapping as a problem. :P

But to be honest it is a pain to swap disks often, it's just that we've not been so used to it after discs (optical) replaced disks.

I have no idea but I just guess GTA5 will be on more than one disc.

• Like 1

To be honest i'd actually like all those discs for the extra concept art on them (Hopefully) Would be nice to have as a collectable.

I'm sure the novelty would soon wear off.