I was just telling my friend yesterday that Heritage shouldn't have been released as an Opeth album. Phenomenal record, really, but it's in hardly any way Opeth.

Deathcore fucking sucks. It's a plague and has ruined any chance for me to see a solid opening band for the groups I like, and had especially ruined metal festivals.

You must not be listening to the right deathcore bands. If you like stuff like Obscura, there's plenty of technical deathcore that should appeal to you. Lastfm is a great tool for finding new music that you know nothing about. Search a random genre that you don't even know exists, but you think would sound cool if it did, and you'll probably find at least a handful of bands who fit the criteria. When I first started listening to deathcore all I knew about was that shit like Suicide Silence and Bring Me The Horizon, but there's a lot more. The Faceless, Fallujah, Spawn Of Possession, Fractals, Slice The Cake, The Contortionist, amongst others are all very good bands that don't get as much credit as some of the more popular bands. I guess that's kind of a rule for everything, since the most popular music is designed to sell more than anything else, and underground scenes are where popular recording artists steal most of their ideas from anyways.

icon11.gif

Gave it a shot. Looked up Bring Me The Horizon just out of curiosity. It had the main thing I really don't like about all those bands that have the core suffix. It's the teen angst tone in the voice that stems from punk music they have that I don't like.

edit

So a long time ago when I was a retarded teenager I fell for this lmfao

My brother downloaded it. Just stumbled upon it in Limewire. Didn't think anything of it other than that I thought it was awesome...but

the song "Hunger" from the self-titled debut album received many downloads on Napster due to the fact that many people falsely believed it to be a new unreleased Metallica song or a collaboration between Megadeth and Metallica.[6][7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Decision

funny after all these years I finally decide to investigate. Song randomly got stuck in my head the other day. But fuckin hell it really does sound like James and Dave doing a duet.

I've been on a grindcore kick this past week.

icon11.gif

Gave it a shot. Looked up Bring Me The Horizon just out of curiosity. It had the main thing I really don't like about all those bands that have the core suffix. It's the teen angst tone in the voice that stems from punk music they have that I don't like.

edit

So a long time ago when I was a retarded teenager I fell for this lmfao

My brother downloaded it. Just stumbled upon it in Limewire. Didn't think anything of it other than that I thought it was awesome...but

the song "Hunger" from the self-titled debut album received many downloads on Napster due to the fact that many people falsely believed it to be a new unreleased Metallica song or a collaboration between Megadeth and Metallica.[6][7]

http://en.wikipedia....ternal_Decision

funny after all these years I finally decide to investigate. Song randomly got stuck in my head the other day. But fuckin hell it really does sound like James and Dave doing a duet.

Yeah, I was more recommending not listening to BMTH. They are indeed a terrible band, although I don't really mind angsty themes. To me music is more about the music than anything else, but with that said I really don't care for whiney vocals or sappy lyrics too much.

icon11.gif

oh my bad I must have read your post wrong. I guess I thought you were saying bands you like and i gave it a chance. I see now you did that in the following sentence

icon11.gif

Devy's new project is sounding a lot like his Ghost album. It's like southern jazzy rockish proggy stuffness.

edit: and this band is blowing my mind.

That Devin Townsend is fantastic. Love the twangy guitar sound.

Bring me the horizon is like taylor swift with growling.

These kids weren't even playing music before the last album, it was just some really incoherent pussy screams. I was extremely surprised with the last album, because radios were actually playing the music, and now it's actually listenable (as in, you probably won't like it, but you can listen to it because it's no longer a skinny kid just doing grotesque pig noises). I have to admit, I kinda liked this last effort, not every day music, but it's still somewhere in my phone. Don't care what you pussies think #yolo.

I think I've mentioned them before, but I'm really getting into Alarum (a decent Aussie band) again at the moment. Their vocalist might not be to everyone's taste (sounds a bit like that dude from Mastodon), but they are great. I highly recommend their last 2 albums to fans of Cynic, Obscura, Atheist, Rush, Coroner and jazz metal in general.

I think I've mentioned them before, but I'm really getting into Alarum (a decent Aussie band) again at the moment. Their vocalist might not be to everyone's taste (sounds a bit like that dude from Mastodon), but they are great. I highly recommend their last 2 albums to fans of Cynic, Obscura, Atheist, Rush, Coroner and jazz metal in general.

GZGP99h.gif

Not to beat a dead horse, but the new Opeth song is pretty awful guys. Very mainstream sounding, and just extremely boring to listen to the whole thing. I gave it 3 spins, and the only positive I could find was that there were certain qualities that I could see Pitchfork hipsters falling in love with. Otherwise, this is substandard and if it's a precursor of what's to come, I won't even be giving this thing a full spin.

Didn't know they released a track. I think the album artwork is pretty good.

I finally listened to Heritage a couple months ago and haven't thought at all to play it again so maybe that says something lol. It was great, but not very memorable.

The new song is rock, complete with a wanky guitar solo.

icon11.gif

I finally listened to Heritage a couple months ago and haven't thought at all to play it again so maybe that says something lol. It was great, but not very memorable.

I like it. But I fucking loved Heritage so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJjJgptNxs

icon11.gif

I like it. But I fucking loved Heritage so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJjJgptNxs

Yeah, I can't think of any way to dress that song up as good man. In the middle of a great album maybe it'll have some sort of context, so I guess I should have held my tongue a little bit because then I heard this today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-tsp9ItY-g

I hope they have more songs on this level.

With the world cup coming soon, I thought I'd create a metal world cup for my own amusement. I started with a group stage, with the top 2 nations from each group progressing to the knockout stage. The bands listed next to each country are a guide only.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1z7YjkjOZiEE5h9TNL8eX6cMGmcx6KtSiHVhvitWGulE/viewform?usp=send_form

• Like 1