cuda

What are you reading?

I'm now well into Voyager, the third book of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. Time disappears when I'm in this story, that's what I'd suggest to Ginginho right now.

I'm reading 4-6 books a week at the moment...  I don't like TV and I read on the bus...

Over the past couple of months I've read all of Chuck Palahniuk and Irvine Welsh...  Got into Scandinavian crime novels and have read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole books and some Icelandic guy whose name I can't remember...  

I have just finished Walter Mosley's Leonid McGill mystery series and an aussie book called The Slap, which is quite a good read...

I'm running low on inspiration... any recommendations?

If you'd consider stepping back into fantasy again, a few years ago I read the Long Price Quartet, I've read loads of fantasy series, but this one has in my opinion the most interesting concept - poets and andats.

Murakami? I read something by him some time ago and it was quite good.

I picked up and started on,

51grMGCKivL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

because my dumbass never got around to read it before.

Which Murakami?  :)   I've read a few books by Ryu Murakami which were quite short but were good stories (Popular Hits of the Showa Era being one example) but I assume you mean Hiroki Murakami.  His writing seems a bit serious but I might check it out properly.  The Liar's Key by Mark Lawrence is out in June - can't wait!!

I'm now well into Voyager, the third book of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. Time disappears when I'm in this story, that's what I'd suggest to Ginginho right now.

Will definitely check this out - still want to read Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale as well...

Thanks all

• Like 1

I'm reading 4-6 books a week at the moment...  I don't like TV and I read on the bus...

Over the past couple of months I've read all of Chuck Palahniuk and Irvine Welsh...  Got into Scandinavian crime novels and have read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole books and some Icelandic guy whose name I can't remember...  

I have just finished Walter Mosley's Leonid McGill mystery series and an aussie book called The Slap, which is quite a good read...

If you'd consider stepping back into fantasy again, a few years ago I read the Long Price Quartet, I've read loads of fantasy series, but this one has in my opinion the most interesting concept - poets and andats.

Which Murakami?  :)   I've read a few books by Ryu Murakami which were quite short but were good stories (Popular Hits of the Showa Era being one example) but I assume you mean Hiroki Murakami.  His writing seems a bit serious but I might check it out properly.  The Liar's Key by Mark Lawrence is out in June - can't wait!!

Will definitely check this out - still want to read Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale as well...

Thanks all

Yeah, Hiroki, 1Q84 sounds interesting.

And yeah, I'm going to order Prince of Fools later, I found it under £5 on a website. I love Mark Lawrence.

Post Office was pretty fucking amazing, definitely one of the best reads I've had in a long time!

Now reading,

fahrenheit-451-c.jpg

• Like 1

Lining up:

r545.jpg

51jPRJhT6gL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Will be interesting to read more Camus stuff, I really enjoyed "The Stranger".

Just got my hands on this book.

A1bCf-Xhe4L.jpg

Synopsis:

It's about a man who developed the most successful persistent online VR world, then died and left his billion dollar fortune to one lucky player who finds his "easter egg" in the world. And that's where the story begins.

It feels like a mixture of Willy Wonka, Indiana Jones, and The Matrix. So many cool retro and nostalgic references to the 70's, 80's and early 90's too. I can't put it down!

• Like 3

What's the title/author, Dup? The image is scrambled for me.

I'm now into the 7th Outlander book, the 8th is on standby, I think the author Gabaldon is working on the 9th right now, it might be the last. They're in the thick of the American Revolution now...so naturally it makes me think of AC III. This story is so epic I'll probably re-read them all again over the summer.

• Like 1

Yeah it's a pure cult nostalgia trip. Plenty of geek to go around lol.

I just followed Ernie on twitter and just found out that Spielberg is apprently directing a movie adaptation. That has potential...

Super duper. It'll be the perfect counterpoint to Outlander, and following the Fraser and Mackenzie clans through assorted rebellions prior to the existence of modern conveniences.

Thanks all

Yeah, Hiroki, 1Q84 sounds interesting.

And yeah, I'm going to order Prince of Fools later, I found it under £5 on a website. I love Mark Lawrence.

Post Office was pretty fucking amazing, definitely one of the best reads I've had in a long time!

Now reading,

fahrenheit-451-c.jpg

I read both of them, I liked fahrenheit better.

• Like 1

i really enjoyed To Kill A Mockingbird, looking forward for her new book.

I have already read this (Portuguese translation) years ago, but I managed to get it for £3, so:

rum-diary-thompson-hunter-s-paperback-co

Ah sorry.

"Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline.

Ordered from the library - a very popular book it seems...

Try "You" by Austin Grossman...  I haven't read it yet, it's next on my list, but it's premise sounds promising... mystery set in a game development studio... probably not as sci-fi as Clines book however...

On an Atwood binge again, Stone Mattress and Cat's Eye, with The Handmaid's Tale on order...

And then it will be back to the pulp fiction of Walter Mosley and Tim Dorsey, while I wait for The Liar's Key by Mark Lawrence...

• Like 2

I was finally going to read 1984. Then I thought "fuck that" so I'm looking for Wally instead.post-57-0-89856100-1434810423_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I went with your recommendation from pages ago, Gunsmith.

Waiting for it to arrive:

the-pleasures-of-the-damned-charles-buko

Brilliant. I have never really read poetry, but I'm really enjoying it. Going through it pretty fast.

At the same time I'm reading his tales of ordinary madness, switching around between his short stories and poetry is a great mix.

Thanks for the recommendation!

• Like 1