Sign in to follow this  
Stefan Dumitrache

Hardware: Xbox360 vs PC

Guest Marney-1

I don't know much about xbox360 innards, but being owned by microsoft i wonder to what extent is it similar with pc hardware and, on the other hand, how different is it from ps3 hardware. anyone got any hints on that?

I googled 'Hardware Xbox 360 PC' and this came up. Hope that helps and welcome to the forums.

The components are probably similar to a PC (motherboard, memory, hard drive, graphics card etc) but the technology in consoles is out of date before they even launch. PC's are probably always at least twice as powerful as anything that goes in a console - assuming you buy top of the range when it's released.

I paid £500 for my graphics card a few years ago. I could have got a 360 and PS3 for less than that, but that's why PC's are better if you can afford a good one. Plus you don't have to wait 10 years for an updated console, you can upgrade it yourself whenever you want.

Alot of people say PC's are too expensive and you HAVE to upgrade. Bullshit, I'm using a 5770 from late 2009, and I theorise it wont struggle to run games (if I were to have actually balanced my PC and not got a poorer CPU but a better GPU) until 2014, almost as long as a console generation, and I'dve only paid £500 iirc.

You don't have to pay a bomb to get good performance. Use the falcon guide and you're kosher.

http://tinyurl.com/falconguide

Guest Marney-1

You'd do yourself (and your wallet) a big favour by avoiding prebuilt setups like Alienware.

Really? I've only ever flicked through magazines and things and noticed they're (they advertise as) the best out there according to their fancy adverts.

So what would you recommend? (Maybe this is for a new thread?)

I'm thinking about getting a proper PC. What's Alienware like?

They're high power, but overpriced. A 2k PC from them is generally worth 1K in actuality. At a time when a bunch of sales were on I "built" (In actuality I only priced the parts) and a 2.4k PC from them was like 1.1k

I'd recommend you build your own and start out with the falcon guide.

http://tinyurl.com/falconguide

You'll shit yourself when you read about it's performance though; 30fps in Battlefield 3... Although for that, you'd have to buy the £1000+ version. I can already see it will be quite popular with the gullible masses, even though you can get the same level of performance from a PS3 costing less than a third of the price. <_<

I'd like to see Metro 2033 running on it. BF3 is poorly optimized and runs like total shit on some hardware even if it is more than capable. Metro 2033 is far more intensive and optimized.

I'd like to see Metro 2033 running on it. BF3 is poorly optimized and runs like total shit on some hardware even if it is more than capable. Metro 2033 is far more intensive and optimized.

I know, those are the figures stated in the article. For the £1000+ model, given the GPU, I would hazard a guess at about 20fps or a little more @ 720p.

*Edit*

TechRadar benchmark:

DirectX 11 gaming performance

Metro 2033: Frames per second: Higher is better

ALIENWARE X51: 11

Is that metro game worth buying I believe they are making a sequel.

From what i've heard it's like Crysis but shit. Crysis was the same, one of the best games for benchmarking because it was well optimized except Crysis was actually a very good game.

Well, if you go by reviews, 81% on metacritic is a pretty good score. Metro and Crysis are popular for benchmarks because they have a built-in benchmark mode which gives far more reproducable numbers than running through the game with Fraps, for instance. Metro is actually generally perceived as being poorly optimised, btw.

I haven't played the game and as such wouldn't know (it's on my list of buy when cheap) but I heard (and the fact it's used for benching) that it is well optimized.