Sign in to follow this  
somerandomdude

What the new antagonist should be like?

we've had some brilliant villians in the gta world like Ryder, Catalina and Dimtri. But what should the new villian be like?

what would his features be?

characteristics?

funny/serious?

someone like the joker from batman?

this is what this topic is for.

get writing!!!

by somerandomdude

I don't think we've actually had this topic before, so props to you for coming up with something original.

An antagonist should never be funny, at least not in a comedic way. Maybe funny as in sarcastic and scathingly critique though. A good antagonist/protagonist pairing should play off of one anothers characters to create a realistic hatred - but also a mutual respect - between the two.

I think the best villans are the ones that fuck your character over so badly that you actually want to murder them. Not just for completion sake, but when you genuinely want to kill the cunt. That's why the main antagonist should be introduced later in the game once you have a connection to your character. They don't have to be memorable like Joker, just complete cunts.

• Like 4

I think the best villans are the ones that fuck your character over so badly that you actually want to murder them. Not just for completion sake, but when you genuinely want to kill the cunt. That's why the main antagonist should be introduced later in the game once you have a connection to your character. They don't have to be memorable like Joker, just complete cunts.

exactly.... somebody that will screw you over and over and over to the point you want to break your TV, then right when your about to kill them in a mission, they get away and lead you on this wild goose chase throughout all of san andreas that leads you into complete misery and chaos, so finally by the time you catch up to him the wait and pain is well worth it. kinda like with Dimitri in GTA IV only make this antagonist more of a cunt and more irratating.

• Like 1

I don't want a boss style antagonist that orders around everyone. I want the antagonist to have a purpose. Hard life, you can feel for his pain although he's the bad guy. Maybe his hard life led him to what he is. It would make the story interesting.

• Like 2

Someone like Tenpenny. A real asshole, that gets what's coming to him.

Yeah tenpenny tops my list, felt good killin that fuck.

Someone like Tenpenny. A real asshole, that gets what's coming to him.

Yeah tenpenny tops my list, felt good killin that fuck.

Agreed

Well all GTAs have more than one main portagonist, but one should be funny/crazy/psycotic/violent/ and maybe a druggy. another should be as cold as ice, and should have a deep past with the protagonst from the past, and he trys to get pay back for something. Another one should be the previously listed antagonists, assistant or PIC( partner in crime), that sees that his boss is doing wrong, and he helps the protagonist stop him. My last idea for an antagonist isnt a main one, but should be a part of the game anyway. If they add a desert, there should be a small town that has a pawn shop that sells cocaine, and the weapons/ammo from the store out of the back. The protagonist needs to buy guns to complete one of his missons, and doesnt paythe owner back. He then sends his goons to get his money from the protag, but he then kills all of the goons and gets off clean. Later on in the story he is confronted again in a bar, and he gets in a fight. he takes a pool que, breaks it, and then kills the owner. Idk just some ideas.

Since the game is already showing some similarities to Heat I wouldn't mind an antagonist like this

heat_l.jpg

A persistent detective who is very good at his job. Both him and the main character respect each other but since they're on the opposite sides of the law they have no choice but to be enemies.

Having an antagonist who is mostly a decent person would make our character the real bad guy for once as opposed to an anti hero like previous protagonist.

Since the game is already showing some similarities to Heat I wouldn't mind an antagonist like this

heat_l.jpg

A persistent detective who is very good at his job. Both him and the main character respect each other but since they're on the opposite sides of the law they have no choice but to be enemies.

Having an antagonist who is mostly a decent person would make our character the real bad guy for once as opposed to an anti hero like previous protagonist.

I think youre on to something there, most main antagonists in previous GTA games, were such evil characters, that you always felt like the good guy (while killin and robbin!!), which is good I guess, but I like yur idea a lot! It could make for a lot more interesting moral issues during the storyline. You would almost dispise yourself for doing some of the stuff you have to do. (Think of Scarface, scene where Tony has to blow up the car and he then finds out that the wife and kid is in the car with the target, he then refuses to do it, and kills the guy with the detonation switch). As for me I like to somewhat get in character when Im playing a GTA game, (I.e. with TLAD I almost exclusivly listend to the hard rock radio channel, whereas I usely switch it str8 to the Hip-hop/rap channel, but that didnt feel right when riding my bike with my buddies in formation through LC!)

@jobo, isnt it the usual recipe, that there are multiple "smaller" antagonists, but one main antagonist? Think of Dimitri in IV, Tenpenny in SA, Sonny Forelli in VC and ofcourse Catalina in III. Before you ever got to deal with them, you'd have to work your way through a range of different lower level antagonists.

heat_l.jpg

I think youre on to something there, most main antagonists in previous GTA games, were such evil characters, that you always felt like the good guy (while killin and robbin!!), which is good I guess, but I like yur idea a lot! It could make for a lot more interesting moral issues during the storyline. You would almost dispise yourself for doing some of the stuff you have to do. (Think of Scarface, scene where Tony has to blow up the car and he then finds out that the wife and kid is in the car with the target, he then refuses to do it, and kills the guy with the detonation switch). As for me I like to somewhat get in character when Im playing a GTA game, (I.e. with TLAD I almost exclusivly listend to the hard rock radio channel, whereas I usely switch it str8 to the Hip-hop/rap channel, but that didnt feel right when riding my bike with my buddies in formation through LC!)

@jobo, isnt it the usual recipe, that there are multiple "smaller" antagonists, but one main antagonist? Think of Dimitri in IV, Tenpenny in SA, Sonny Forelli in VC and ofcourse Catalina in III. Before you ever got to deal with them, you'd have to work your way through a range of different lower level antagonists.

Hmm i never thought of it that way. Almost all of the antagonists seem to be "bad guys", and itd be good to have a "good guy" as the antag for once. If ur into crime like in the GTA series, u are going to face up against some bad people, but yet, there are two aspects of being a criminal. Competing with rivals or enemys, and the law. Good thinking!

• Like 1

The law has always been the tertiary factor in the majority of GTA games, the plots tend to revolve around "bad guys". Most of the cops that feature prominently in any GTAs tend to be corrupt; Ray Machowski, Tenpenny and McReary, you could argue that Machowski and McReary are generally "good cops" who have turned to crime to defeat a larger evil that they otherwise would not have been able to do via conventional, lawful means. Tenpenny on the other hand is truly corrupt as he attempts to exploit his position and operate outside of the law on numerous occasions. In this sense it would be very difficult to have a primary antagonist who is a "good cop" - one who plays by the rules and doesn't twist the law to their advantage, it would severely limit them in how they can compete with the protagonist. I'm sure R* could pull it off though if they chose to.

Hah, that'll make the noobs scratch their heads.

• Like 2

The law has always been the tertiary factor in the majority of GTA games, the plots tend to revolve around "bad guys". Most of the cops that feature prominently in any GTAs tend to be corrupt; Ray Machowski, Tenpenny and McReary, you could argue that Machowski and McReary are generally "good cops" who have turned to crime to defeat a larger evil that they otherwise would not have been able to do via conventional, lawful means. Tenpenny on the other hand is truly corrupt as he attempts to exploit his position and operate outside of the law on numerous occasions. In this sense it would be very difficult to have a primary antagonist who is a "good cop" - one who plays by the rules and doesn't twist the law to their advantage, it would severely limit them in how they can compete with the protagonist. I'm sure R* could pull it off though if they chose to.

Hah, that'll make the noobs scratch their heads.

Well, you're very true there. It almost always was a form of a "bad" cop, even McReary, if you listen to all the comments his brothers make about him during car drives and such. But the bad cop always makes you hate the guy which facilitates in you as a player to justify killing him, but what I meant is, that if the cop's after you. For example when youre like three quarters in the game and the "good" cop is on to you because you have to do all the gnarly, typical, GTA stuff, then you get a chance to either kill the cop (maybe youre both on top of the mile-high construction platform and he's about to fall/slip off the ridge) leaving you free of his hunting, or you let him live and you get an even harder time after that. This would force you to take a moral stand of sorts. Anyway I'm just throwing it out there! ;)

I think the perfect antagonist should be our own crime sindicate, not just one perfect enemy, but one organization that we have to conquer from inside. We cant be kings without beeing villains. The main caracter should be himself a antagonist, some times is preety hard go to bed after taking bad/good decisions that hurt people that trust in us, remember Tommy Vercetty? Yes I think Tommy is a fine example of a great antagonist hero.

I think the perfect antagonist should be our own crime sindicate, not just one perfect enemy, but one organization that we have to conquer from inside. We cant be kings without beeing villains. The main caracter should be himself a antagonist, some times is preety hard go to bed after taking bad/good decisions that hurt people that trust in us, remember Tommy Vercetty? Yes I think Tommy is a fine example of a great antagonist hero.

I actually do remember that, now that you mention it! ANd yes Tommy is tha bomb (there I said it!)!! What??!! :whistle:

I don't want a boss style antagonist that orders around everyone. I want the antagonist to have a purpose. Hard life, you can feel for his pain although he's the bad guy. Maybe his hard life led him to what he is. It would make the story interesting.

I like your idea, but if you start sympathising with the main antagonist it takes away alot of the protaganist's motivation for taking him down.

Officer Tenpenny from San Andreas was the perfect bad guy for that game ( Samuel L Jackson is so good ). Introducing him at the beginning of San Andreas and having him take all the player's money aswell as dropping him in enemy gang territory was a genius start to a game. And really made you feel like you were starting from rock bottom, with Tenpenny having all the power. Dimitri from lV didn't feel like much of a threat, he was more of a wimpy nerd with a bunch of Russian Mafia Henchman at his call. Niko was never really in danger, so they had to make him seem more vulnerable by adding his weak degenerate gambling cousin into the mix.

I think GTA V needs to have multiple Antagonists, each with there own agenda and with differing levels of threat. All culminating in a truly scary Bad Guy that makes the others look like pussies in comparison.

I'm sure Rockstar can pull this off.....................................................................

I want to create my own character. Customize his face to look as much similar to my own and then feel real immersion :)

I think you are thinking of a protagonist. An antagonist is essentially the "bad guy" of the story that you go up against. And I wouldn't count on that, even for multiplayer. Rockstar has yet to do that and I doubt they will. You'll get some customization, but not creation. That goes for both single and multiplayer.

Sign in to follow this