Im aware some of you have seen or are planning to see The Avengers. What is your review of the film?

I loved it. Mark Ruffalo, Tom Hiddleston?, RD.Jr and Samuel L. Jackson stole the show. I wish that Thor got more time but he got enough. I really enjoyed the scene about 45mins into the Movie when IronMan fights Thor and Thor fights Cptn. America. It made them all seem equal and that they were all capable of kicking eachothers ass, plus it was just an awesome fight scene. When Thor said "Listen here, brother-" and IronMan speared the shit outa him then Loki said "I'm listening" I was :rofl: . I enjoyed the ending where Cptn. America and Black Widow are fighting as A team, Hulk and Thor aswell, and IronMan with Hawk. It was that moment when they really felt like The Advengers. The humor in this movie is tremendously done well also. The Avengers is A must see.

9.8/10 Excellent Movie

The Dark Knight is still the King though.

:D

yea, the chemistry between all the characters is what sold me on this team... while i feel that everyone got their fair share of on-screen time, i do agree that thor felt a little distant to the story dispite it being about his adopted brother... which also led to a hilarious line... and hawkeye really didn't have much of a role until the final act...

but i thought the interaction between iron man, captain america, and the hulk was worth the admission all in itself... like when iron man asks cap'n what he sees looking at the motherboard and he says, "it appears to run on electricity" :lol:... captain america felt like a fish out of water when he wasn't fighting for the avengers and that was perfect!! he even played some old school space invaders at one point!!

and really, the hulk was the show stealer in my opinion... and a lot of the time it was the dialog between him as banner, and tony stark... they're clearly on the same level when it comes science and tech, and you can see immediately that they're going to work good together... and hulk stole every action scene he was in... aliens coming down 5th street? hulk smash... aliens closing in on the group? hulk smash... thor and hulk fighting aliens in a skyscraper? hulk smash, and then smash thor in a hilarious exchange :lol:... loki threatens hulk by telling him who he is?? hulk thrashes him around like a ragdoll... iron man plummeting to earth unconscious?? hulk saves!! then screams at him to wake him up :D... clearly he was the show stealer here...

hulk was easily the best character in this film... i found SHIELD to have it's moments, but like i said hawkeye didn't get his due while the black widow surprisingly actually had more scenes than the rest of them... sam jackson of course did his thing and clearly is the man for the job as his previous cameos lead up to this moment... and that chick from "how i met your mother" didn't do too shabby either..

i agree, this is nearly perfect... i'd give it a 9.5/10... and i have to see it again, but i do think it's better than dark knight... this feels more like a comic book full of superheroes... dark knight is more of a realistic gritty endeavor about a psycho who wants to watch the world burn... it doesn't feel a lot like a comic book...

• Like 1

The Dark Knight and The Avengers was going for two different things. The Dark Knight was going for A more dark, realistic tone whilst Avengers was A fun Brilliant action movie. The Dark Knight, when you think about it.. its not even A Si-Fi. Tom Hiddleston is definitely the best Movie villain since Heath Ledger, but Heath was better. The Dark Knight's story also was just way more complicated and deep than The Avengers imo. Although an argument can be made that it took 5 movies with 4 different stories that connected for The Avengers to finally be made. The Dark Knight is really just to different to compare to it to Avengers, but I prefer The Dark Knight. The acting, the suspense, the realism factor, the awesome story all just makes me prefer it.

Also, The Avengers is new, so I have to wait untill the feeling of OMG goes away so I can really make an unbiased decision. Untill then, The Dark Knight remains my favorite. The way The Joker was done in that film is just to epic!

Im really dissapointed he won't be in The Dark Knight rises. :(

I fully agree with thh Hulk stealing the show, he was very well done. Black Widow is a boring character, both in Iron Man 2/The Avengers and the comics, and Scarlett Johansson is hot, but not hot enough for me to overlook the fact that she's a mediocre actress. But, Joss Whedon is a feminist, so I knew going into it that she would get a shit ton of screen time, which was really my only disappointment, other than Hawkeye's lack of screen time. Hawkeye is a brilliant character and I'm a huge fan of Jeremy Renner, so I was a bit let down by how underutilized he was.

As for Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill, she was good, for the most part, but her voice is too soft and not at all authoritative, and in the comics, Hill is a pretty hardcore bitch with a hell of a presence. Cobie needed to speak up.

Tom Hiddleston is definitely the best Movie villain since Heath Ledger, but Heath was better.

I disagree, mostly because I didn't see Ledger's Joker as a proper villain, at least not in the traditional sense. TDK's version of the Joker was a criminal, a sociopath, a psychopath. Despite having a master plan, all he really did was cause chaos. Tom Hiddleston's Loki was a proper, traditional villain, and, unlike Ledger's Joker, he was handled uniquely without straying too far from the comics. Ledger's Joker was unique and brilliant for the realistic setting TDK had, I'm not knocking his performance at all, but that realistic setting ensured that he couldn't stay very true to the comics. All in all, Loki is the better movie villain, and, if you read comics, the better villain all around, despite Joker's history, and The Avengers was the better comic book movie, as TDK wasn't very comic-like.

Watchmen is still the best comic book movie of all time, though. It was a monumental achievement, and comic book movies wouldn't be as good as they are now without it.

i think heath ledger's joker is one of the greatest movie characters of all time, but it's not quite a comic book character... watchman was pretty good too, i tend to forget about that movie... joss whedon was definitely the man for the job though, he managed to make all the characters fit and jell... and yea, he does give females too much air time, and unfortunately hawkeye didn't get his due because of it... i like the black widow and i do love scarlett, but i thought it was a bit much at times...

i really thought captain america grew into his own in this movie too... despite being lost in the 40's, when it came time to fight the enemy, he stepped into the captain's role and led his team into battle... while guys like iron man and thor handled the fight from the skies... and the hulk, well he's just the hulk, he does his own thing... but the cap'n kept the team together and focused, and helped lead the SHIELD units as well...

it's just a good collaboration to be honest... i wouldn't mind seeing captain america 2, thor 2, iron man 3, another hulk, and maybe even a SHIELD movie... then bring them all together again to fight another threat, like we saw in the credits... there's still lots of material out there to keep making marvel movies...

The Hulk is the only one that I don't know for sure they're working on another. Iron Man, Cap, and Thor all have new movies being worked on as we speak, although none are filming yet, and there will definitely be another Avengers. Curious as to whether they'll bring in Silver Surfer or the Guardians of the Galaxy to help set up Thanos. If it's Surfer, expect a Fantastic Four reboot before Avengers 2.

yea, didn't dr. doom make an appearance in the avenger comics too?? the hulk might not really need another movie to be honest... he's been done and re-done a bunch of times already... but i think robert downey jr. is the perfect tony stark, and i would love to see another iron man movie...

Agreed, RDJ nailed it. No one else could have done Iron Man justice. And I'm sure there's another Hulk coming, since the set up the Leader in the last movie.

the thor universe is quite relatively untouched too... and unfortunately, captain america killed off his main nemesis, red skull, in his movie if i recall... but there's still plenty to do with that source material...

Red Skull's been killed a dozen times or more. He can come back at any time, and it would be nice to see him in a modern setting. And yeah, there's tons of stuff to do with a Thor sequel. Personally, I'd like to see the Wrecking Crew make an appearance, though they're not as epic as Loki.

i looked at a list of captain america's villains and they're categorized alphabetically... yea, there's a lot of source material there...

and thor has multiple realms of enemies... earth was just one of those realms, but it's where a lot of the avenger battles take place...

Red Skull will probably be back at some point. Arnim Zola becomes a pretty major character, but not enough to stand on his own in a movie; he could only be a right hand man on film. Would rather see another villain first, though. All the Avengers need a trilogy, anyway.

who was the guy standing next to loki at the end in the credits?? i almost thought it was red skull because he had a red face...

Loki? You mean the guy that was giving the orders to the aliens whose name I don't know how to spell? He was standing next to Thanos. Look him up if you like, I'm typing this on my phone or I would explain the whole deal.

DC tends to release brilliant movies, however they kind of suck at times, like that Superman movie reboot back in 2005-6 I believe.

This thread has nothing to do with DC comics at all, it's about Marvel.

I plan on going to see it this week hopefully earlier this week.

The mobile version of the site is being a honky right now, so I can't quote the post in question, but The Dark Knight has Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, and Heath Ledger, whereas the Avengers only had Robert Downey Jr. and Samuel L. Jackson, so, your "top-tier cast" comment is invalid.

who was the guy standing next to loki at the end in the credits?? i almost thought it was red skull because he had a red face...

Loki? You mean the guy that was giving the orders to the aliens whose name I don't know how to spell? He was standing next to Thanos. Look him up if you like, I'm typing this on my phone or I would explain the whole deal.

via wikipedia

Thanos is a mutant member of the race of superhumans known as the Titanian Eternals. The character possesses abilities common to the Eternals, but in some cases far beyond any other known member of his race; acquired through a combination of his mutant Eternal heritage, bionic amplification, mysticism, and the entity Death. He has demonstrated enormous superhuman strength, stamina, and particularly durability; is able to absorb and project vast quantities of cosmic energy; is virtually ageless and immortal; does not need food, drink, or oxygen; and is capable of certain telekinesis, as well as telepathy and matter manipulation. The advanced technology within his transportation chairs includes force field projection, time travel, movement through alternate universes, space flight, and teleportation over interstellar distances. Thanos is an accomplished hand-to-hand combatant, having been trained in the art of war on Titan.

Thanos possesses superhuman intellect (he considers his mind his greatest weapon) and has knowledge of Celestial and other alien technology. Thanos is a genius in virtually all known fields of advanced science and has created technology far exceeding contemporary Earth science. He is also a master strategist and sometimes utilizes a space vessel called Sanctuary II as a base of operations.

sounds like tony stark and bruce banner will have their hands full there...

Someone didn't read the Wikipedia article. Thanos is a force of nature, a borderline god*. He could go toe-to-toe with the Hulk in hand-to-hand combat.

*Not the same as Loki, mind you. He's got a vastly different skill set.