cuda

Football (Soccer)

BBC commentator Mark Lawrenson after the USA took the lead: "I'm not biased, I just want the USA to win". So much for impartiality.

Sorry cuda, but I hope for the same, only because I want the USA to play Russia in round 2.

And Brian, if you read this, calm down, don't overdo your celebrations.

I'm not a patriot, but I'm fully ashamed for my country today. Fuck all you corrupt dickheads, your schemes and your tricks, your internal fights, federations, associations, managers, agents, all you fucking retards with a portuguese name who live to spit on your own country, for money, favors and whores.

Fuck them. Hope Portugal comes home next week and people just lynch them in the airport.

So no goals for England today, but at least they didn't lose!!!!!!! Oh well, the hard work for Euro 2016 begins now. But trust the English to find humour in the situation...

England-fan.jpg

And of course I can't finish this post without talking about Mr Suarez. I'll just reprint what I posted on my Facebook page and leave it at that...

Let's see how many Suarez apologists come crawling out of the woodwork now, starting with the Uruguay coach:

"I'd like to see the images first before making any comment. If it happened, then the referee probably didn't see it," said Tabarez. "Despite mistakes Suarez has made, he is the target of certain media, a certain press."

Yawn, Here we go again. Brendan Rodgers will probably be next. The images here look pretty damn clear. And watch as the c*** (yeah, I went there) goes down clutching his face, as if HE'S the innocent party. If Columbia play Uruguay in the next round, I hope they fucking murder them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W8VC-WY-V8

He was impeded, for crying out loud. Note how the Ivory Coast players didn't run to the referee in protest after the decision was made. The guy who fouled the Greek player knew he'd blown it.

What I was originally going to write:

Wow...such drama in Brazil tonight. Greece denying Côte d'Ivoire at the death with the coolest penalty of the World Cup so far. Got to feel sorry for the Ivorians, going out of the World Cup three times in a row at the group stages. But Greece deserved it, well done to them. Nice to talk about actual play on the pitch.

He was impeded, for crying out loud. Note how the Ivory Coast players didn't run to the referee in protest after the decision was made. The guy who fouled the Greek player knew he'd blown it.

The contact that was made appeared unintentional, and probably wasn't deserving of a penalty at that stage in the game.

http://www.gfycat.co...AlarmingDolphin

Camera angles and speed can be deceptive. The 3rd angle is the best indicator that there was no ill intent. The dude even tries too late to pull back to avoid touching Samaras.

Edit: Anyways, Cote D'ivore had one job, and they couldn't even beat Greece, so good riddance. Most colossally underachieving African side in history. Couldn't even win a Nations cup. Unlike Nigeria. Current champions of Africa and soon to be world champions

Oh well, this could go on forever. But the fact remains, as you say, that Ivory Coast were not good enough.

Nigeria "soon to be world champions"??? Haha. Couldn't take advantage of a Messi-less Argentina in the second half, and most likely about to have their backsides handed to them by France. Enjoy.

So... how 'bout that USA team... Anybody believing the "PLAY FOR THE WIN" bullshit. I'm and American, but I do follow and compete in football more than any sport. I HATE American rules football. Nevertheless, I'm hoping the USMNT can pull out a shock victory. FIFA is cracking down pretty heavy in recent times, and even if it's an honest tie, we'll still have to overcome Belgium in Round of 16. Also, I see Ghana winning against Portugal, and by a just-good-enough-amount. I'm hoping that CR7 can make an impact along with Pepe coming back. The sad thing though is that Portugal has no chance without a blowout victory or a blowout USA loss, so they may submit VERY easily to Ghana. Tomorrow's definitely gonna be a pride war between each team.

So much to discuss.

Fair play to the US for giving it their all against Germany. That shot from Mueller was a pure thunderbolt, and it's a shame for them that Dempsey couldn't get his header on target late on. Still, they are deservedly in the next round, and expected opponents Belgium would do well not to take them lightly. The days of Team USA being a joke team that few people inside their country cared about are well and truly over, and hopefully continued good play will see popularity for the sport in the country increase.

And so, on to Luis Suarez. I don't feel sorry for him. One might argue that FIFA didn't go far enough. On the surface, it sounds like a strong punishment, and that a clear message has been sent. However, I would have gone further than that, and banned him from all football-related activity for at least a year. The guy just doesn't seem to learn.

And no sympathy here for the Uruguay FA and their media. Their predictable apologist behaviour is nothing short of petulant, and efforts to blame the British media for their man's woes is fucking pathetic. Remember, this is the same British media who don't sell short their praise of him whenever he does anything good, and the same British media who voted him their Footballer's Writer's Player Of The Year last season. But heck, why let the truth cloud popular opinion? And why not ignore the rest of the world's media who haven't been slow in their condemnation?

And finally, if there are any Liverpool fans crying out against the injustice, tough shit. A quality player, yes, but LFC knew that the man had previous when they bought him. They rolled the dice, and for all of the "smooth" that he has given them, they've also had to take their fair share of "rough" to go along with it. So again, no sympathy. Maybe they should sell him while they have the chance.

• Like 1

I'm happy Algeria got through, although they don't stand much chance against Germany.

My picks for the round of 8

Brazil V Chile 2-0

Colombia V Uruguay 3-0

Netherlands V Mexico 2-1

Costa Rica V Greece 0-1

France V Nigeria 2-1

Germany V Algeria 3-1

Argentina V Switzerland 2-1

Belgium V USA 0-0 (USA on penalties)

• Like 1

I'm happy Algeria got through, although they don't stand much chance against Germany.

My picks for the round of 8

Brazil V Chile 2-0

Colombia V Uruguay 3-0

Netherlands V Mexico 2-1

Costa Rica V Greece 0-1

France V Nigeria 2-1

Germany V Algeria 3-1

Argentina V Switzerland 2-1

Belgium V USA 0-0 (USA on penalties)

I hope you are right, but im pretty sure Belgium has got this one in the bag....

I'm not so sure. I think the US has a better probability at beating Belgium than it did against Germany, and the final for that game was 1-0.

Happy for Algeria and the great tournament Slimani is doing, he plays on my club of heart.

slimani1.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not so sure. I think the US has a better probability at beating Belgium than it did against Germany, and the final for that game was 1-0.

Belgium are not a bad team. They have decent players up front, and star man Eden Hazard can change a game in an instant. They are also the most defensively disciplined team at the World Cup, being the only team not to concede a goal from open play. And they have won all three of their games while playing at a level nowhere near to their best. So do not be quick to underestimate them. If the USA win, it would have to be considered one of the greatest wins in their history.

Since predictions seem to be the order of the day, here's mine for the other games. I fancy Brazil to be given a tough test by Chile, but they should win by one goal. With Van Persie back, the Netherlands should destroy Mexico, though it would be interesting to see how they would react to Mexico taking the lead.

For reasons other than football, I think that most of the world wants Columbia to beat the living crap out of Uruguay, but out of the teams considered 'dark horses', the Columbians have impressed me the most, particularly with their counter-attacking play. The Uruguayans clearly are not the same team without Suarez, and even though they will be defiant, I expect Columbia to win handsomely.

Greece-Costa Rica. Be honest, who had that one before the tournament started? Anyone? No, didn't think so. Tough one to call, of all of the 2nd-round matchups, this one has 'penalties' written all over it. But based upon what I have seen, I believe that Costa Rica will be favourites here, as long as they don't get too nervous. Greece's best strength appears to be their defence, if they get ahead, the Costa Ricans will find them tough to break down. But I'm still going to predict Costa Rica for the win.

Didier Deschamps is in that great position of having a 'good problem to have'. The French coach could pretty much cut and paste any given eleven players into his starting lineup, and they would still do a top job. Karim Benzema appears to have taken it upon himself to be France's talisman in the unfortunate absence of Franck Ribéry, and they will go as he goes. I ultimately think that France will be found out later in the tournament when they play a stronger team, but for now, I believe them to have plenty to beat Nigeria comfortably.

Switzerland could pull off a shock win if Argentina are overconfident, or if they rely a little too much on Messi. For all of the brilliance of the little genius, the likes of Di Maria and Aguero have hardly set the tournament alight, and number 10 can't do everything on his own. For the Swiss, they got over their mauling to France pretty quickly, and Shaqiri has shown that he is one of those 'one chance' players. With all that said, clearly Argentina have more than enough quality to win here. It's about time that they gave the complete performance the world is waiting for.

I already gave my thoughts on USA-Belgium above, so the final one here is Germany-Algeria. While it would be fantastic for Algeria to pull off the shock win, and finally put to bed any ill-feelings of unfair play from Germany back in the 1982 tournament (look it up if you can be bothered), it clearly isn't going to happen here. Germany to win at a canter.

The group stages, by and large, were a great spectacle. Let's hope that the knockout phases more than live up to the standards that have been set.

• Like 1

shorts:

James Rodriguez is just raping in this WC, best player so far in the tournament.

Belgium has imo, the most solid midfield in the WC.

Argentina is playing like Portugal in one aspect: a retard is coaching the team. Very little thinking goes into team play, both Ronaldo and Messi have 0 defensive responsibilities, which is stupid, this is modern football, players should know what to do in all moments of the game. Fortunately for Argentina, the Di Maria and Messi connection is working ok, and the individual quality of the team is just good (except for Rojo, the left back). Either way, I don't see Argentina making it very far if someone in the staff doesn't man up and take control of the team, right now it's just a bunch of friends playing together "you defend, I attack, let Messi do whatever he wants"-

• Like 2

After watching Brazil-Chile, anyone who wants to talk shit about this sport can do one as far as I'm concerned.

Feel sorry for Chile, they gave it absolutely everything, but unfortunately there had to be a loser.

Yeah, there might be a few talking points (Turned down penalty appeal for Brazil? Did Hulk handle the ball?), but such drama, such excitement.

Can the other seven games in this round match up? Let's see, bring it on...

• Like 1