cuda

Football (Soccer)

the big match today should be Argentina vs Bosnia and Herzegovina. Messi finally enters the fray, and let's see what Argentina are made of, many people have them to win the whole thing.

I've been getting hyped up about Argentina every world cup since 98. I'm sick of them letting me down, although surely they'll do better than the joke that was the Maradona coached side of 2010. I wouldn't be surprised if Bosnia wins.

the big match today should be Argentina vs Bosnia and Herzegovina. Messi finally enters the fray, and let's see what Argentina are made of, many people have them to win the whole thing.

I've been getting hyped up about Argentina every world cup since 98.

Could be worse. You could be an England fan. Just substitute 98 with 66.

Count me amongst one of the England fans who does NOT keep going on about that year. Honestly, people have lived and died in the years in between.

Meanwhile, the attitude of the Honduran players against France has been a fucking disgrace. I hope France (and every other team in the group) go on to destroy their sorry asses.

• Like 1

On the England vs Italy game:

- Sterling and Sturridge are amazing players with a very bright future.

- England has a midfield issue, they need a game stopper, a proper defensive midfield figure that can give forwards the confidence to push the game up, there needs to be more pressure on the ball, England let Italy play the game as they wanted it.

- Matteo Darmian is a very interesting player for his position and age, always responsible in his defensive responsibilities, always clever when pushing.

On Sterling and Sturridge (and other young English players), this is what football needs, every country should have kids like these - kids that learned to play football outside, on the street, who are used to getting hit by the bigger lads, the stuff that makes football flashy, the stuff that created hundreds of fantastic Brazilian players - the street school! Creativity, ingenuity, daring and unafraid! They need to mature and learn to play the game competitively, but they are making the right strides, and they seem to have the right attitude - England has a very promising future.

• Like 2

Well said cuda. It's all about getting experience now, whether it's for three matches or more here. Then it's on to what should be a solid qualifying campaign for Euro 2016, and then crack on from there.

As for the present, this Rooney issue needs sorting out once and for all. Clearly he's uncomfortable playing on the left, just stick him in the Number 10 role, or don't play him at all. Simple as that.

So on to today, and of course the big match between Deutschland and Portugal. I hope CR7 is fully fit for this, I don't believe that Portugal can win this one otherwise. The Germans will be their usual efficient selves.

Other predictions, Nigeria to beat Iran, and perhaps we might see the first draw of the tournament when the USA play Ghana.

Create no expectations, never be disappointed.

That's how I see Portugal's football. There is a screaming gap between quality in our players in so many areas, none of them work properly. Our strikers/finishers are so shit, I could do better. Our midfield is mined with incompetent players, lobbies in place that make sure the "right" players start, it's all politics and money, making sure certain players are consistently played in world/euro cups, to ensure value stays high.

If Portugal actually wanted to do anything in this world cup, a certain player would be out there every game - William Carvalho, young, smart, tactical. The next big thing coming out of the country, he will hold our midfield fort and let Ronaldo/Nani do their thing properly. If he starts that is.

Yes they do. They just don't seem to miss when it really matters.

Apart from in a shootout the 1976 European Championships, but let's face it, none of the regulars were probably alive back then...

Edit: Pepe, you DICK. Muller was a dumbass, agreed, but if he's going to do that, he has to go.

At the rate they're going, it could easily be 10.

EDIT: not trying to condone Pepe's retaliation, but, having seen the replays, Thomas Muller is a FUCKING SCUMBAG for his initial reaction. This bullshit should not be a "part of the game", FIFA should have stamped out all of this crap years ago.

Switched it off, Portugal plays like shit and the lobbies are still at work, why keep playing these players is beyond me.

Obviously not happy with my home country getting raped, but at the same time, fuck them. Outsiders wouldn't know, but Portugal and it's football federation are a bunch of corrupt dickheads, instead of putting deserving younger players on the field, we get the same shit year after year, unheard of players and old cunts who's only purpose out there is to keep their market value high so the transfer windows bring on money to agents and companies - because of this we have basically no midfield and no proper forwards. It's the ugly side of the country working again, the stuff that makes me hate my origins sometimes, corruption and greed. We are too young of a democracy, 40 years of democracy are nothing and we still need to grow - it's not just football, politics, education, the job market, public companies, the private working sector, everything in Portugal is plagued with this disease. When we lose as a country, a handful of my own country men are ALWAYS winning - favors, money under the table, contracts, bah...

• Like 1

A very enjoyable World Cup so far! Couldn't believe how crap Portugal were - I actually predicted a Portugal win in our predictions competition at work! :ermm:

Anyway, its now Iran vs Nigeria. Iran will quite literally be getting thrashed!

This Iran and Nigeria game is boring, could be 0-0 at full time.

Germany weren't properly tested I think which is a shame as I don't see them being as strong as they look. They don't play a recognized striker too which is very different from other teams.

Looking forward to seeing Belgium play though, they are the dark horses for me in this World Cup, got class players such as Hazard, Kompany and Lukaku, and also other decent players like Fellaini. Januzaj is a strong prospect for them too.

And so we have our first goalless draw. I suppose we were due one at some point.

Iran did what they wanted to do, and Nigeria were shit. We definitely saw the best two teams in this group last night, Bosnia might be bottom at present, but they should easily go through with Argentina.

Hopefully USA and Ghana will be a good one. Still don't understand why Klinsmann left Landon Donovan at home though.