cuda

Football (Soccer)

So then, the countdown to the biggest game of the tournament so far* is in its closing stages. I've been awake since 5am BST for work, so I'm going to be tired as hell come full-time, but I'll be cheering the Three Lions on as loud as I can, and willing them on to a hopeful win against the Azzuri. I'm not naive, of course it won't be easy, but England have to go for three points, and be bold in doing so.

Dup, Firm, if either of you read this, what's the atmosphere been like in your respective corners of England? As you might imagine, very few people give a shit about it here in Swansea, even though I found it surreal as hell to see a Welshman wearing an England top in my work's canteen earlier.

*artistic licence of course

Quick edit: Damn, how about Costa Rica taking a shock 2-1 lead against a Suarez-less Uruguay (who is warming up as I type)? CR have looked the better team in the second half, talk of them being the whipping boys was of course premature.

• Like 1

Honestly there's the usual flag from every other window, but not many people are talking about it. There's not much faith in my area.

So, i'll just be twice as noble!

R.I.P Rik Mayall, and good luck England!

I just like the fact that, with all of their exotic sounding names, Costa Rica's best player was a man named Joel Campbell.

A lesson never to write anyone off. Maybe CR heard all of the rubbish about them supposed to be whipping boys, and took appropriate action.

Yes, idiotic sending off. But their number 11 should have been booked as well for the unnecessary shove.

So then, the countdown to the biggest game of the tournament so far* is in its closing stages. I've been awake since 5am BST for work, so I'm going to be tired as hell come full-time, but I'll be cheering the Three Lions on as loud as I can, and willing them on to a hopeful win against the Azzuri. I'm not naive, of course it won't be easy, but England have to go for three points, and be bold in doing so.

Dup, Firm, if either of you read this, what's the atmosphere been like in your respective corners of England? As you might imagine, very few people give a shit about it here in Swansea, even though I found it surreal as hell to see a Welshman wearing an England top in my work's canteen earlier.

*artistic licence of course

Quick edit: Damn, how about Costa Rica taking a shock 2-1 lead against a Suarez-less Uruguay (who is warming up as I type)? CR have looked the better team in the second half, talk of them being the whipping boys was of course premature.

Palpable, electric. We're all enjoying the greatest spectacle on earth. Pubs are full, chants are loud!!! And I'm the fucking duty manager tomorrow morning!!

Prey for me.

Edit: I'm wankered

Damn, that would have been an amazing goal from Super Mario! Reminded me of:

Pauleta didn't even give them time to think though. And that was the last time Portugal had a super-striker :(.

Good game so far, but England is really fucked in the midfield, Italy has the ball far too much.

• Like 1

I'll be fine. I've just screamed my vocal cords silent..I'm communcating with one finger salutes tomarrah' .One more can of Red Stripe..Cracking goal, though, Sturridge. Thank fuck Welbeck is injured, Useless waste of skin.

Good game so far, but England is really fucked in the midfield, Italy has the ball far too much.

Yeah, too right. Like watching a bloody Serie A game. I want to see England close down more.

Anyway, substitutions. Who would you like to see come on? Personally, I want to see what Barkley can do...

Oh, BOLLOCKS!!!!!! Fucking Balotelli...CANNOT feed him in that area!!!!!!!

And it's FULL-TIME. Fair play, England battled hard, but Italy did what they needed to do, and fair play to them. Just need to beat both Uruguay and Costa Rica, and hope for the best...

I am Sure Rooney is good in his club but he really fucks it at the world cup.

I notice that the England players just don't seem to be around to pass to, I think Baines and Sterling seem pretty good. Some of the goal kicks were way out, like Gerrard said, they need to work out what to do once they have a chance and how to finish it.

Just got to remember that this is a young team. They'll improve.

Italy were professional in their win, but it's not as if they battered England all over the place. There will be A LOT of hysteria in the English media over the next few days, but it will be mostly forgiven in they beat Uruguay on Thursday.

Rooney is only a good player when he's surrounded by good players. He's not creative or capable of showing initiative...The fat big-tabbed-hair-plugged twat.

Edit: Uruguay lost to Costa Rixa...I think we're good.

Damn Firm, say what you really think mate...

Maybe he should have played behind the main striker as he usually does, he might have been more effective. But that chance he missed in space late in the second half...the great players would have put that one away.

Ughhh. I can't stand him, mate. Useless waste of good carbon. I'd put Sturridge up front on his own...supported by an aggresive midfiled-Barkley and Llana etc.

I'm an awesome backseat driver...

• Like 1

Can't forget Sterling though. But I'm guessing you wouldn't want Welbeck in there judging from your comments earlier.

So, if anybody had this after the first round of games, they're either very optimistic Costa Ricans, a bookmaker's wet dream, or straight-up fucking liars...

2envjmu.jpg

Rooney did create the goal but the fact remains he doesn't play on the left wing, that said I don't think he would have been better than Sterling in the NO 10 position in the hole behind the striker, which means he needs to be dropped for someone else if England will continue with that formation. He let Baines down a lot by not covering him.

Welbeck did ok considering he was played out of position too and had to track back. In the next game I'd drop Henderson and put Wilshere in midfield, he is much better at distributing the ball and is the only 'European' type player we have who can actually keep possession.

For now though it'll be tough to get out of the group. Especially after Cosa Rica gave a massive surprise to Uruguay.

• Like 1

Oh well, with a big que sera sera, let's move on. Today sees Switzerland vs Ecuador, France vs Honduras, but the big match today should be Argentina vs Bosnia and Herzegovina. Messi finally enters the fray, and let's see what Argentina are made of, many people have them to win the whole thing.

But don't underestimate Bosnia. Edin Dzeko is in fine form for club and country and Argentina shouldn't take him lightly. In addition, he should be talked up as one of the candidates for top scorer in tournament. Why? I reckon there are plenty of goals to be had against Iran and Nigeria, and he could easily have an Oleg Salenko* type game against either of them.

*This be a dude who scored a record five goals in one game back in the 1994 tournament, and ended up joint top scorer as a result.