Sign in to follow this  
Edgecrusher

The Elder Scrolls Online

^One of the best trailers I've seen, along with The Old Republic's.

Why do they make awesome trailers for shitty MMO?

I guess that's how they drag in all the fantasy geeks. WoW has amazing trailers, some of the best quality CG, same goes for tOR, Diablo etc. But the gameplay is nothing like the trailers... If they put as much of the budget into gameplay as they did into the cutscenes, we'd probably have the best MMO out there.

I do love Elder scrolls though. So i still may play this. Hopefully if it's FTP.

Looks like they've improved the lighting among other things a little since i last looked at this:

3a4ff0d02fd5622554.jpg

61e602b3bcc6c7fc62.jpg

55fc7938d6fc169cb2.jpg

95fc73f925d4cb3b76.jpg

Looks like they're creating the entire continent of Tamriel after all.

The Elder Scrolls Online, you’ll be able to revisit some familiar places from previous Elder Scrolls games, including areas in the Tamriel regions of Skyrim and Morrowind. Our team has gone to great lengths to carefully recreate many beloved Tamriel locales (those with a keen eye might even spot a few Easter Eggs while exploring ESO). Past meets future as we take a trip down memory lane and revisit great moments in Tamriel's history with a few “now and then” comparisons, featuring locations from previous Elder Scrolls games and The Elder Scrolls Online

*becomes more interested*

http://elderscrollso...and-then-places

I do love Elder scrolls though. So i still may play this. Hopefully if it's FTP.

It won't be. They know thay can make money out of it because people will pay to play. If it was FTP I might consider buying my first MMO game ever.

But as I said it won't be. My hunches with MMO games ending up being a waste of money are entirely justified. That Star Wars Galaxies game that came out a good few years back looked good, but luckily I didn't fall for it, even when I was younger and more easily swayed it took a lot for me to part with my money. SW:TOR a while back also seems to have flopped like a giant dildo on a waterbed, this seems to be going the same route as that with the cartoon-like graphics so i'm sceptical about it.

When I went into GAME today they were putting up ESO and GTA V posters.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/elder-scrolls-online-gameplay-shown-6399694

The Elder Scrolls Online is due out in 2013. Its pricing model has not been announced, though the founder of game consultancy firm Gamesbrief, Nicholas Lovell, believes it will launch with a paid subscription but will eventually become free-to-play. For more, check out GameSpot's previous coverage.

That is Gamespot though so take it with a dribble of lube.

No point in even becoming excited about this till we see/try any gameplay. MMOs are extremely hit and miss, developers need to realize that gameplay comes at absolutely #1 priority.

Did you look at the link in my post above? It has gameplay footage, of course it looks nothing like the trailer I posted previously.

Yeah, but the thing is - most MMOs fuck up things like hit timers, the 'sword' only really hits your target after the animation is complete, and that's gay as fuck cuz.

Part of the reason WoW blows every other MMO out of the water is because the gameplay is awesome, there hasn't been ONE MMO that matches WoW in quality of gameplay - movement, casting, animations, etc, all of these things are what make an MMO good.

A friend of mine has been playing Rift lately, the game is superb from a content point of view, regular updates, really challenging raids... it's great, but it goes to shit when you start moving your character, everything is clunky and slow responsive.

I think the gameplay looks good, but it would be better if we could actually see some sort of UI to be able to judge hit timers at least.

It's not Bethesda, but it's still Elder Scrolls, so I believe in it. I'll be taking a break from WoW to try this once my subscription is up. Unless it's free-to-play, in which case I will happily juggle both games.

I kind of take issue with the game, though. They're using all of Tamriel, which is going to ruin certain aspects of future Elder Scrolls games. Wherever the next game is set, I'll already have seen it. I know the locations in TESO are scaled down from the size they would be in a real Elder Scrolls game, but it'll still take away that surprise for me.

Ok, managed to watch the gameplay video, first impressions:

- Game looks pretty decent, doubt character customization will be that good though, again, only WoW has really made it work, races need to be very distinctive, armor as well.

- The moment I see any kind of siege, be it vehicles or walls to take down, WHATEVER, any time I see those I just have to cringe. Siege combat in MMOs has NEVER worked, it's just awful. I hope they don't overdo it, player combat should always be about player vs player (see original BGs in WoW/arena), never about complex resources and/or battlefield equipment.

Other than that, the game has good lore to back it up, I don't really give a shit about lore, all I care about is good gameplay and having other people to play with. Will wait to see how this one turns out, it's looking quite promising.

I have learned a surprising amount about the lore given that I only started with Skyrim.

Anyway if it is FTP, I might consider getting it. I was in Winterhold while playing Skyrim a minute ago and thought i'd like to see what it looked like before the great collapse. (Hey I just referenced a JMT song without realising it.)

I've signed up for the closed beta. Those interested, but not sure whether or not to buy, should try get into beta first, see if it's worth while imo...

Yep. Was notified about the beta yesterday. Fingers crossed, nigs.

Because you'd need a supercomputer to run a continent with thousands of people on-screen, with Skyrim graphics. It's already going to put almost the same amount of strain on your computer as Skyrim, no need to make it worse.

The graphics really aren't cartoonish, anyway, they're just not as detailed as Skyrim. It isn't much different from New Vegas.

icon11.gif

bah, why did they make it cartoony looking

because MMO's have to sacrifice graphics for stability... at least that's the trend i've noticed when i see MMO screenshots... i obviously pass on this as i am sure it doesn't run on my laptop :lol:... plus, world of warcraft and every MMO never appealed to me... pirates of the burning sea was the only one i tried to play... got invited to the beta with my old desktop, and despite sending them my specs, they chose me when i couldn't run the game... it's now a FTP, but i have yet to try it out with my much better laptop...

love the elder scrolls lore too, and i too started with skyrim... oblivion was the first game i played, but the only thing i remember were the gates, the daedra, and the races... almost joined the brotherhood before the game out-leveled me :angry:... but i learned a lot playing all the hundreds of hours in skyrim...

Although it looks more crude graphics-wise I did notice the giants, trolls, Dwarven centurions and spheres look almost exactly the same as they do in Skyrim.

Edgecrusher, are you on the mmo-champion forum? I was looking at the news there and saw another Edgecrusher posting, so just wondering.

Well, now that this has been announced for PS4 and XB1, I'm definitely getting it. I think I'll have a heart attack seeing a Elder Scrolls/Fallout working properly on a playstation.

It will work, right? No more freezing???

Nah, I need a keyboard. My bosmer is going to have to run around yelling about how the Aldmeri Dominion is superior, and I can't type that shit with my controller as often as I'll feel the need to say it. PC it is.

• Like 1