it was a satisfying episode for sure...

the entire episode was the war of the wall, which was cool and all, but it felt kind of rushed to me, the lead into it anyways... like gtagrl said, there's only so much screen time for the events that some of it feels rushed...and i knew jon's lust would die, just a hunch... thought it would be sam that did it tho... either way, touching, but in no way as emotional as some of the other kills in this series

dem giants tho, they made the whole episode for me...

I think it was pretty shitty of them to have her say 'you know nothing, John Snow' just before she dies, because it literally has nothing to do with anything apart from the fact that all the nerds are obsessed with that one line for some reason.

I think it was pretty shitty of them to have her say 'you know nothing, John Snow' just before she dies, because it literally has nothing to do with anything apart from the fact that all the nerds are obsessed with that one line for some reason.

That, my friend, is straight out of the book. She says it to him often, in fact.

You've got a castle-raised, knight-trained, highborn bastard who's innocent in the ways of women and much of life, having a passionate affair with a hardened wildling girl who's kissed by fire, raised north of The Wall where they don't even have castles. She's a fierce warrior that has to fend off wights, shadowcats, rape, endless cold and death, and whose culture favours 'stealing' girls...i.e., they want their women to be tough fighters. To her, Jon Snow really does know nothing, she's only telling him the truth.

• Like 2

when you die you tend to reflect back on memorable moments... her saying "you know nothing jon snow" is just something she would think of in her last breathe... i thought it seemed strange at first until i remember movies like "signs" where dying words are often of fond memories...

they loved each other... that night in the cave was the highlight of both of their lives...

Makes sense now, thanks. And also, is the show simply based on the novels or does it follow through with almost everything that happens in them? I'd like to read them some time, but I prefer the suspense in the show so I don't want to ruin it by finding out what happens beforehand.

The show is a (mostly) successful adaptation of the story in the novels. Some scenes are lifted verbatim from the book; other bits do not appear in the books at all.

The books have far more rich detail...but the biggest difference (other than places where they skip ahead out of necessity) is the sheer number of characters. There are way more knights, servants, maesters, septas, whores, cousins, wards, sellswords, pirates, barbarians, slavers, bastards, uncles, aunts, heirs, smiths, commoners and general entourage than you see on the show. If anything, you'll enjoy the books even more because you're already familiar with key players.

You'd be safe to read the first two books if you wanted, after this season ends. Beyond that there would be spoilers both ways. The show is like a great primer for the books, and the books will help you understand the show on a deeper level. It just might be hard to put the books down once you start.

For the record, knowing what's going to happen hasn't diminished my enjoyment of the show in the slightest.

The show is a (mostly) successful adaptation of the story in the novels. Some scenes are lifted verbatim from the book; other bits do not appear in the books at all.

The books have far more rich detail...but the biggest difference (other than places where they skip ahead out of necessity) is the sheer number of characters. There are way more knights, servants, maesters, septas, whores, cousins, wards, sellswords, pirates, barbarians, slavers, bastards, uncles, aunts, heirs, smiths, commoners and general entourage than you see on the show. If anything, you'll enjoy the books even more because you're already familiar with key players.

You'd be safe to read the first two books if you wanted, after this season ends. Beyond that there would be spoilers both ways. The show is like a great primer for the books, and the books will help you understand the show on a deeper level. It just might be hard to put the books down once you start.

For the record, knowing what's going to happen hasn't diminished my enjoyment of the show in the slightest.

Reading the books doesn't diminish the show, but I'm starting to wonder how they are going to do next season.

This season has borrowed some bits from book 4 and 5, and the stories are advancing quite fast especially Briennes and Bran Starks.

I actually think one scene in this season was from Book 6

The scene where the White Walker turns the baby.

I am assuming he is the Night King? Or his successor?

I doubt the Winds of Winter will be released before next season which means the show will overtake the books which will be bad I think. The books have more detail and the show now is diverging from the books a lot.

Agreed - there are some paths they've chosen in the show that are now deviating quite a bit from the books, and I'm curious to see how they will handle it down the line.

It's one thing to close a story loop by using an existing character to perform another character's function (e.g., we already know Bronn, so why not have Jamie train with him rather than introduce Ser Ilyn Payne...), I get that. It's another thing altogether when they deviate...how do you find your way back to the story in the books if you've gone on a tangent that's far off course?

I've learned after watching several beloved books adapted for the screen not to freak out too much at the differences, or judge the screen version for being different from the book. For example, the LOTR movies can be considered an improvement over reading the trilogy, which frankly can be a dull read in sections (especially The Two Towers). Narnia did well, for the most part. The Hobbit trilogy...well, the bits that are in the book are fantastic, and the bits that aren't in the book are horrid, but I'm still going to go see them.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. :)

Fuck that guy, fuck his dead kid, and fuck Dany. You can't fucking go around locking dragons away in a prison. They fucking did the shit dragons do, and people need to live with that shit.

• Like 3

i was satisfied with the season finale...

the dick dad is gone, one of dany's dragons is out doing it's own thing, and the hound met brienne... the hounds death kind of sucked, but he was close to dying anyways from some of the earlier encounters... and the mountain could still live?? crazy...

but yea, looks like the lannister kids are now free to do whatever the hell they want now... kind of wonder if that'll make their stake to the throne a little less intimidating now that the truly fearful lannister is dead...

and how did stanis just all of a sudden show up at castle black, and on the north side of the wall nonetheless?? i didn't get that part at all, i must of missed something a couple episodes ago...

...so how long do we have to wait now??

i was satisfied with the season finale...

and how did stanis just all of a sudden show up at castle black, and on the north side of the wall nonetheless?? i didn't get that part at all, i must of missed something a couple episodes ago...

Re: your question about Castle Black...

You may recall scenes showing Ser Davos, the former smuggler known as the Onion Knight, now Hand of the King for Stannis Baratheon, learning how to read, alongside Stannis' daughter Shireen (with greyscale on her face)...Davos feels it would be inappropriate to learn to read using children's storybooks, so he insists on using current letters and correspondence to the King as his reading material.

To backtrack a bit...In the early days, the Night's Watch was a position of honour and a respectable path to choose. Over the years, enrollment went down and they started recruiting criminals to the Wall to beef up their numbers. At first, there were still enough knights and honourable men to keep the thieves and rapists in line, but over the years, their numbers dwindled and it has become more difficult to keep them all in line (hence the mutiny at Craster's house).

The Night's Watch is so completely outnumbered and outmatched by Mance's free folk army, not to mention the Others / wights that have killed many of their rangers and fighters, that they desperately need help. They sent out letters to all five kings at the time (Stannis, Renly, Joffrey, Robb Stark and Balon Greyjoy) begging for aid - men, supplies, anything. That letter makes its way to the small council in King's Landing, and is promptly dismissed as nonsense by those that actually see it. Renly doesn't last long, and neither does Balon...Robb, being of the North and having ties to the Wall, probably would have taken the letter more seriously but never got the chance.

So, Davos happens to read that letter during his lessons. It had been seen by the previous Hand and council, but was never brought to the king's attention. When Davos understands what it says, finally brings it to Stannis and Melisandre, they take it very seriously and immediately prepare to sail to the Wall with an army to help the Night's Watch. There's access to the Wall and lands nearby by sea.

Fortunately for them, someone heard their plea for help - for if the Wall falls, and the Others make it through...the winter that would follow would be the end of everyone.

ahh yes... i forgot about the letter... also, i didn't know there was access via the sea, i figured it was all iced over or something... but yea, now it makes sense... luckily someone answered the plea for help then...

The show is ruining the books a little I think as it is diverging quite a lot.

I mean, for example

I don't Jojen Reed died in the books but he seems to be dead now, which is crap, and the mystery of the hound has gone, as it is now possible he is still alive while in the books it is alluded to this.

I think the author has given up on writing the books before the show ends, as Brans story is already finished from book 5 if I remember correctly.

This season has took too much from seasons 4 and 5.

Next season the producers will really earn there money as it's going to be a lot more difficult to incorporate everyones story with the books not being a perfect guide anymore.

At least Stannis behaves like a king protecting his realm...unlike any of the other Baratheons, really.

THE ONE TRUE KING

yea he does, even if that little red witch clouds his judgement at times... i like him over any other king currently staking claim to the throne...

Bitch can cloud my judgement anytime. :fap:

• Like 2