Indy

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

So I discovered a new trick for making loads of money and increasing your smithing and enchanting skills.

Buy/find as much iron ore, iron ingots, leather and leather strips as you can. Convert any iron ore to iron ingot and any leather to leather strips. Go to the furnace and make as many iron daggers as possible. Each one uses 1 iron ingot and 1 leather strip. This is good because all smithing gives the same amount of XP. So there is no difference in XP between making an iron dagger or ebony armour, so you might as well make the shittiest/cheapest stuff.

Once you have loads of iron daggers, gather/buy filled soul gems, preferably shit ones like common and lesser etc. Go ahead and enchant all of your iron daggers, or as many as you can. Experiment with different enchantments to see which gives the most value to your dagger, I found that absorb health gave my iron dagger a value of around 600, which I could sell for 200. If you have about 30 daggers you can easily make 6000 coin, the cost of purchasing all the stock would only be a fraction of this.

• Like 2

I have a shitton of soul gems, a shitton of weapons, but where do I get enchantments? I know how to use the Alchemy tablet, I broke down some pickpocket braces and now I have an enchantment I can use that has something to do with pickpocketing. Once I get the enchantment, can I use it multiple times?

Also, I lost my Lydia a few days ago. She could be dead or I could have accidentally told her to wait somewhere - I don't remember. She had a shitton of Orchish weapons on her and a few other things I didn't want to carry. I haven't really missed her, she caused a lot more problems that help. She got me killed a few times by pissing off the giants as we went by. Bitch always wanted to fight.

In the spirit of not needing her:

• Like 1

Don't sell any enchanted items you find, disenchant them instead. The item will disappear but you gain the knowledge of the enchantment that you can use over and over again. If you have two of the same enchantments (e.g Magica regenerates 50% faster OR Magica regenerates 100% faster), it makes no difference as to which you disenchant, you gain the enchantment for Magica regenerates X% faster. So just sell the most valuable one and disenchant the other. I'm at the point now where I don't bother looting items unless they're very valuable/rare, I just go into dungeons to kill shit.

Also, try and get some deadric artifacts, they kick ass and the associated quest lines are awesome too.

I've been doing a lot of rimming over the weekend and I'm level 22 now. Been building up my restoration and archery skills quite a bit. I need to find a bow with soul trap built in because it's a pain in the arse needing to cast a spell on something before I kill it to fill up my soul gems.

Disenchant something with a soul trap enchantment, then you can put it on any bow you want. Except the ones that are enchanted already, I think.

But it's too late - Alvor's dead too. The whole town comes over to look at him and his daughter is standing over her dad, crying. I try to talk to her and she says she'd rather not - too emotional. I got the pop-up that the quest I was on failed; but the biggest loss was Alvor - who just wanted to mentor me to become a better blacksmith. I'll continue to use his smithing equipment and probably check in on his wife and daughter from time to time (I looted his housekey off his body). I'm just glad that Stump the Dog is okay.

I've also been in the river and seen random corpses (foxes) go floating by. Someone upstream must have had a fox problem.

I'm really enjoying how realistically the villagers react to things. The Companions sent me on a mission to beat the shit out of someone, and once the fight started, half of Whiterun was standing around us, cheering the other guy on and placing bets on who would win. Even the guards got in on the betting. Assholes went with the wrong guy, though; never bet against an Orc berserker.

As for the corpses, I've found a few bandits in the river, and there's a skeleton in one of the moats in front of Dragonsreach in Whiterun.

tldr; cradle the gems, work the iron

best tip ever. I've been getting my smithing up (93 as we speak, with all but daedric and dragon armor perks unlocked), but I've been losing money near the end, cause I got lady and wouldn't go out killing. I hadn't though of enchanting stuff... I'll be a billionaire now!

There's apparently an exploit/glitch to boost your speech as far as you want. Some briar or something in a town beginning with R... You can constantly ask him what he does and he doesn't give much away, so you can "persuade" him to tell you more and he does. Do it over and over and it'll keep raising your speech. Apparently it's not a great thing to do though because as you level up the enemies get harder to kill but you're not increasing anything that helps you in the same way. Meh. I'm gonna do it so I can sell stuff for more cash.

There's apparently an exploit/glitch to boost your speech as far as you want. Some briar or something in a town beginning with R... You can constantly ask him what he does and he doesn't give much away, so you can "persuade" him to tell you more and he does. Do it over and over and it'll keep raising your speech. Apparently it's not a great thing to do though because as you level up the enemies get harder to kill but you're not increasing anything that helps you in the same way. Meh. I'm gonna do it so I can sell stuff for more cash.

Yeah that's also the problem with the smithing/enchanting training, although you do get better armour and weapons. That's why I try to balance my smithing/enchanting with my block/one-hand/heavy armour skills.

Pro tip:

If you're into enchanting, make sure you do The Black Star quest (slight spoiler, but not really)

Give the star to Nelacar. You'll gain a soul gem that can be reused and can store a grand soul by simply killing human(oids) e.g. bandits.

This is one game I am not worried about the exploits or cheats or farming or achievement whoring. I am in no rush to beat this game or get to a certain point or anything like that. I'll level up as I play the game, by doing the things as my character would do them. If you could level up for catching butterflies or fish, I would be maxed out. If there was a level up for hopping instead of walking (didn't Oblivion have acrobatics or something?) I would - again, be maxed out.

My guy is getting good at archery, sneaking and one handed weapons. I intend to start focusing more on magic use (other than destruction). I've been making a lot of money by using the spell that turns iron ore into gold ore; using the gold ore to smelt into ingots and making jewelry or whatever.

My hero will never be a whore.

It's possible to wear 4 items (chest, ring, necklace, head) that can each reduce magica use of a certain magic school by 25% (stacking the effect to 100%), thereby making spells in that school free to cast. This is probably very useful for mages (esp. destruction school). Although you'll have to have some grand soul gems, 100 enchanting and 5/5 Enchanter perk.

Excuse my ignorance, but how the hell do you place items around your house? I can only drop items, and they never go anywhere but the floors, no matter where i look. I heard that things get messy and end up on the floor once you load game again, but i just wanted to know how you places things around anyway...

Hold X/A when you see the message to "pick up" and if you keep it held down you can move it about

Ok about the speech exploit. You need to be in Riften and find someone called Ungrien. So easy :P

Cheers. I found something cool in the castle at Whiterun. You guys probably already noticed it. But, round the back where you buy the house from that guy, is a knight practising his archery skills. If you stand by the target, you collect the arrows. I stayed there for a little while and collected myself 100 arrow before exploring, and he didn't leave. So if you're low on money and you're an archer, just grab some free arrows from there.

Nice find with the arrows. I'm guessing they're iron arrows? Perhaps at some elven places there are archers practicing with glass arrows or something nice like that.

If I get in a shootout with another archer, I try to back up to a wall and when he misses a shot, the arrow will hit the wall and fall at your feet. I found this early when I ran out of arrows. I collected enough arrows from an archer that had me pinned down to take them out and recover their quiver.

I'm creating Daedric armor and weapons atm... you guys want in? I'll give you friend rates..

oh wait I can't sell to the real world... this place is hell... *slumps back into coma*

I have this mild obsession with Dwarves. I had a full on dream last week that I met a dwarf in a ruin outside Markarth and he told me all the secrets of their technology, how the rest of them disappeared and how he was left behind. It was amazing.

funny, i've been dreaming about ho's and money... must be saints row...

i've been picking up some good tips in this thread though, can't wait to hear more!! and i look forward to joining this conversation properly in a month...

I have this mild obsession with Dwarves. I had a full on dream last week that I met a dwarf in a ruin outside Markarth and he told me all the secrets of their technology, how the rest of them disappeared and how he was left behind. It was amazing.

It really pisses me off that the dwarves have mysteriously vanished by the time of Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim.

We haven't been to Black Marsh, Eslweyr, High Rock, Valenwood, Sumerset Isle (no desire to go there, though), Hammerfell, or some other places I don't remember. Well, one of the old games had all of Tamriel, I think, but I don't count anything before Morrowind.

I really wanna visit Elsweyr next. Daggerfall had all the regions but most of it was randomly generated terrain. Morrowing was the turning point for gameplay... I'm just doing the main Thieves Guild mission at the moment, then I'm going to do the special missions from Vex and Delvin. Turn the Guild around and fence my wares hardcore. I'm a blacksmith with product to sell.

I went ahead and grinded through the speech exploit yesterday. Was already on 44 or something so it took about 30 mins to get to 100. Pretty awesome though. Unlocked pretty much all the perks in Speech apart from "double your intimidation" or something cos I don't seem to need it. Pretty awesome how I can do crimes in Whiterun then just tell the guard "I don't have time for this, do you?" and they can't be bothered to arrest me.

Also got the perk which allows me to sell stolen goods... So I just go in a shop at night, steal everything that's not tied down, then come back and sell it back to them the next day. Hah.

Oh yeah and I bought two pieces of jewellery which give me a total of 40% pickpocketing increase, so nearly everything has a 90% success rate. Been stealing arrows, lockpicks and small amounts of gold from all the guards in Whiterun.

Didn't actually do many quests yesterday, just messed about making cash. I was up to 21k at one point but bought the house in Whiterun. Shouldn't take too long to make some extra cash now though. Oh and my long lost Lydia was inside the house when I bought it, so I got about 5k worth of weapons back which I can sell or disenchant :)