Sign in to follow this  
YorkiesWorld

New Build - But will it work for GTA 4?

Ok, so I am building a whole new computer. These are the items I am using for the build:

ASUS M5A78L-M USB3 Motherboard

AMD FX-4100 Quad Core Processor (AM3 Socket with 12MB Total Cache)

8GB DDR3 RAM

Solid State SATA Hard Drive

ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series Graphics Card (512MB PCI-E)

I'm wondering if this system will be able to run GTA 4 fine? I'm assuming it will, but I'm a little unsure about the graphics card, I could go and get a different one, but is it worth it? Will this build be fine for gaming?

As far as gaming goes its pretty low end. The CPU is junk IMO. Look up some benchmarks on it and you'll see. For gaming I'd always buy Intel CPU's, the i5 2500k is probably double the price of the AMD FX-4100 but the performance is amazing. The card is quite old and wont stand the test of time. You probably want to aim for a 5770 minimum as its still a good card and can be had for 70 quid. The RAM is a nice amount depending on what brand you get. Don't go for cheap stuff like rendition. I also don't understand the SSD until we know what the rest of the gear is.

Post a budget and I'll make you a build.

Why is it that people always throw RAM at an average spec PC expecting a extra fuckton of performance? for gaming the ram would be sound but the rest of the spec doesn't really shout out HD gaming tbh.

And personally, solid state has the potential to be fantastic but its still finding its feet. some people still think its the must have in hard drive tech but its not really necessary.

Why is it that people always throw RAM at an average spec PC expecting a extra fuckton of performance? for gaming the ram would be sound but the rest of the spec doesn't really shout out HD gaming tbh.

And personally, solid state has the potential to be fantastic but its still finding its feet. some people still think its the must have in hard drive tech but its not really necessary.

Because RAM is a marketing buzzword used to sell average PCs as high end ones by most big retailers.

4GB's of ram is becoming the absolute minimum these days. 8 ensures the PC wont become absolete so soon, however you have to spec the rest of the PC similarly.

We've got an 8 year old desktop that manages to perform basic tasks very well with 1gb of RAM. it just depends what you need it for tbh. if you're going to sit there with 20 windows open then it struggles but as long as your not a cunt (trying to get this message through to my brother) then its fine. is slow as fuck though even compared to my old acer laptop

4GB's of ram is becoming the absolute minimum these days. 8 ensures the PC wont become absolete so soon, however you have to spec the rest of the PC similarly.

We've got an 8 year old desktop that manages to perform basic tasks very well with 1gb of RAM. it just depends what you need it for tbh. if you're going to sit there with 20 windows open then it struggles but as long as your not a cunt (trying to get this message through to my brother) then its fine. is slow as fuck though even compared to my old acer laptop

I ran a 512mb 2.4 ghz AMD sempron based PC from 2006-2010 for EVERYTHING (we're talking HD video editing, gaming etc), I'm aware of how capable old computers can be! My old server was a 160gb hard drive, with a P3 that was less than a single GHz and probably 128mbs of SDRam (Slow and shit imo) and it worked like a treat for what I was using it for (LAN access).

I enjoy old computers. Most particuarly the big stack I have behind me right now that I need to get around to posting a picture of!

I have a question for Cynatist, If i replace parts in a laptop (Dell XPS 15) with much better quality parts, would it be good for gaming. One of ym friends who builds computers says it's a waste to rebuild a laptop and I should just get a desktop.

I assume you mean the graphics card? In most cases with laptops (even with dedicated graphics solutions), it is difficult, if not impossible to upgrade the graphics. Dells are also notoriously poor on the upgrade front, so your friend is probably right I'm afraid. You may be able to overclock it, this would probably have a very negative effect on temperature though.

I have a question for Cynatist, If i replace parts in a laptop (Dell XPS 15) with much better quality parts, would it be good for gaming. One of ym friends who builds computers says it's a waste to rebuild a laptop and I should just get a desktop.

Don't even bother attempting upgrading a laptop. a few scenarios could happen

A. You buy a desktop part and that just down right will not fit

B. You buy a laptop part (if they even exist) and you get a minimal performance boost

C. You buy a laptop part and it requires soldering (and it's all BGA soldering too)

D. You get it in by some miracle and your temps are shit.

Adding a graphics card into a laptop is not easy, and upgrading a laptop period is expensive and difficult. On most laptops ram and the hard drive is easy to upgrade (two seperate bays accessible by phillips head screws) and few have a bay to give access to the CPU, which makes upgrading the CPU easier.

I'd advise you build a desktop. Use the falcon guide as a guide to buying the parts, but buy an anti static wristband too if its your first time and watch a few videos on youtube. Building a PC is stupidly easy.

http://tinyurl.com/falconguide