Knight > Jennings

Jennings is an inconsistent ball hog. That is a terrible trade on Detroit's part. I'm not even much of a Pistons follower, but even as a casual fan of them this pisses me off.

• Like 1

if you were a true fan of the team you'd know that knight wasn't improving... he's a truer PG, but he hasn't put it together yet... jennings can flat out score and will probably be the quickest guy on floor every night... it's not the solution to our PG needs, but for only a 3 year contract, it's worth the gamble IMO... plus we still have billups, who is here to teach our guards how to play guard... jennings would be wise to listen...

plus, he comes here with a chip on his shoulder, being told he's inconsistent... players like that usually find a home in detroit...

People have said Jennings is an inconsistent ballhog for years and he still takes more shots than anyone and shoots 35%. It's not like coming to Detroit will suddenly put a chip on his shoulder and make him want to be a team player. And no, I don't watch Detroit often and I'm not a hardcore follower but I can read a stat sheet and see that Knight improved in every statistical category in 2012-13 from his rookie year. Do I think that Knight is the star future point guard of this team? No, but Jennings is in no way an improvment and more of a downgrade from what we had.

knight is a backup PG at best... he'll never be a starter, jennings is a starter even if he's not a true PG... he might have nights where the shot doesn't work and he takes bad ones, but josh smith does the same thing... jennings is an improvement over knight because he brings so many other things to the table...

it's not like this is the solution to our long term problem, but it is an improvement at the position... plus this free's up some space on the roster to sign siva, who i think could be our PG of the future... and the chip on jennings shoulder comes from no team making any offers to him in the off-season... he was looked over, little things like that motive basketball players... he's going to want to prove to everyone that he can play the position...

this move does solidify our place in the playoffs, but which seed no one knows... that's all this trade was about, making the playoffs... he's not the answer to our problem, he's the alternative, and i like it better than the knight alternative... we didn't give up a lot to get him...

dumars wants pistons basketball back in the D, so that means that guys like jennings and smith must buy into the "team" mentality... billups and the coaching staff are here to make it happen, now it's up to the players to buy into it... and i think jennings and smith will, because of that chip...

The fact that this is not a long term solution is the problem. The Pistons front office is bringing in a number of players thst make them OK in the short term, but are not long term franchise pieces that you can build a team around. It's not like this team was a couple offseason acquisitions away from legitimate contention. They are setting themselves up for years of 1st round exits to Miami, Indiana or Chicago. The addition of Jennings would really only make sense if they were a team like Indiana that is already a contender, but needs a scoring boost and a solid starting PG to potentially become a favorite pick to win it all.

Detroit guys, what's Stuckey like at PG? My first impression of the trade was that Jennings would start at PG but would slide to the 2 when Billups was on the floor. Obviously age is a factor but I imagine the lineup of Drummond, Monroe, Smoove, BJ, Billups would be seen quite a bit.

stucky is better at the 2 IMO... bynum is our best PG and he's a slashing scorer too...

we'll also have some cap relief next offseason as well, anything to get better is good IMO, it's hard enough to sell this city to any free agent, adding a few nice pieces makes it a little easier in the future... you just can't expect the front office to make us instant contenders in one off-season... it's gonna take a few more years, but the moves we've made so far have set us up in the right direction... i am actually excited to watch the games this season, in the last few years the excitement wasn't there...

you just can't expect the front office to make us instant contenders in one off-season

I don't expect that, and never said I did, but the entire offseason seems like a poor attempt by the Pistons to do just that.

It's a pretty good year to be an East team really. You can try hard knowing that if you succeed you'll gain as high as a sixth seed and if you don't you'll get a decent player out of the lottery without the stigma of tanking. Win-win.

it was an attempt to make us relevant again... seems to of worked, we're the talk of the off-season...

Would you call the Milwaukee Bucks in the past 3-4 years relevant? Because Detroit is basically setting themselves up for that.

Fucking Oden is going to Miami. I wanted to root for him, but I hate the Heat too much. I guess I have to hope that he gets injured again, released, and signed by a diffferent team where he stays healthy and fulfills his original potential.

Excuse my ignorance, but how can Miami afford to add more players to their roster? Unless they are paying everyone apart from LBJ, Wade, and Bosh peanuts.

I think Oden will be getting the veterans minimum as strange as that sounds.

Excuse my ignorance, but how can Miami afford to add more players to their roster? Unless they are paying everyone apart from LBJ, Wade, and Bosh peanuts.

Why don't we ask Brooklyn? They seem to make a joke of the salary cap more than anybody.

I had a look and I can't find any restrictions. I always thought teams had to have cap space to sign a player but could exceed their cap and the tax line to sign their own players or MLE's. I thought Miami might have had part of their MLE up their sleeve. ESPN is reporting that they'll pay $2.6m in tax on Oden alone.

I believe they still have Hinrich, so would it really make sense to pay another point guard when you have an all star and a reliable backup at the position already? The playing time he would get wouldn't be worth the money.

we inked peyton siva today, i am pretty happy about that, now he can go play overseas or something for a year until he's ready to be the back up PG, and eventually starter... i really do think he has the tools to be a decent PG, but he's still a little rough around the edges... i like his big game mentality though and his knowledge of running the point...

plus, i was afraid that if we didn't get him that contract, someone else would have... he impressed a lot of teams in the summer leagues with his ability to run the point...

sucks to be a bulls fan.. one of the most gifted PG's in a generation and he can't stay healthy... the pistons on the other hand got off to a slow start with a tough tough schedule but there's plenty of season left and we've been on a roll the last couple of games...