Jizzy

Christians, please answer this question for me.

IMO people are agnostic because they can't believe or have faith in something that they haven't seen any proof of.

That pretty much defines agnosticism, yes. It's much better than atheism where you have to give reasons for not believing in god and jeebus and allah. As an agnostic you can just say "fuck it I don't care either way."

Apathetic agnosticism. I think that would describe many people on here.

Apathetic agnosticism (also called pragmatic agnosticism) acknowledges that thousands of years of debate have neither proven, nor dis-proven, the existence of one or more deities. This view concludes that even if one or more deities exist, they do not appear to be concerned about the fate of humans. Therefore, their existence has little impact on personal human affairs and should be of little theological interest.

Apatheists hold that if it were possible to prove that God exists, their behavior would not change. Similarly, there would be no change if someone proved that God does not exist.[1]

Apathetic agnosticism. I think that would describe many people on here.

Apathetic agnosticism (also called pragmatic agnosticism) acknowledges that thousands of years of debate have neither proven, nor dis-proven, the existence of one or more deities. This view concludes that even if one or more deities exist, they do not appear to be concerned about the fate of humans. Therefore, their existence has little impact on personal human affairs and should be of little theological interest.

Apatheists hold that if it were possible to prove that God exists, their behavior would not change. Similarly, there would be no change if someone proved that God does not exist.[1]

Oh look, there was a name for it all along. Still, that's quite a few syllables, and a lengthy explanation. I think I'll just keep telling people I don't give a shit.

According to Christian belief, if you die without knowing Christ you will be judged according to your own culture. The laws of God are pretty much universal across all cultures (do not murder, steal etc.)

The reason Christians spread the world is because we believe that Jesus has the power and authority to forgive anybody of their sins and set them free. This is why we worship such an amazing God.

He is a fair judge, and I believe we can leave it up to him to make the right decision. He knows more about the unsaved soul than we do, he knows their entire life story and their circumstances. People will say that dying without knowing Jesus is an automatic passage into Hell, but it is not as black and white as that. The Bible also makes it clear that many who consider themselves high and mighty Christians will also find themselves on the wrong side of eternity. Think the anti-Christian movements of the crusades and the Spanish Inquisition which defies Jesus words to love their enemies and instead persecuted tortured and killed them.

Well, that's how we spiritual, non-religious Christians roll. :)

I have no respect whatsoever for any religion.

I like Buddhism, personally. I know that's weird coming from me, but there you have it.

That's the only one that I have any respect for. Religious people make me uncomfortable.

Religious people make me uncomfortable.

That's part of the reason I like it. Buddhists are nice and quiet. They do what they do, and they leave you to do what you do. They don't care if you believe what they believe, and they can talk about their beliefs without insulting or belittling yours.

Religious people make me uncomfortable.

That's part of the reason I like it. Buddhists are nice and quiet. They do what they do, and they leave you to do what you do. They don't care if you believe what they believe, and they can talk about their beliefs without insulting or belittling yours.

That's why it's the only one I have any respect for.

When you stack the cards in your favour and give people ultimatums, it smells suspciously like hard sell bullshit. What do you do when they knock on your door on Saturday morning, peddling their faith, with one of their brainwashed children along for the ride?

Personally, I love when Jehovah's Witnesses come to my house, they're fun to mess with. When I was 14, a pair of them came around while I was home alone. I untied my dog and let him chase them off. Another time, about a year ago, I soaked myself with fake blood, put on a pig mask, and grabbed a handful of chicken bones out of the garbage and ran outside shouting nonsense at them. Turns out they didn't need those bicycles to get around quickly, they just need proper motivation to run.

• Like 1

Delightful! I'll have to try something like that. Last time it happened, I answered the door in my bathrobe with coffee in hand and became speechless with anger when I saw the kid.

(btw it was oversize huge plaid terrycloth, not anything slinky or revealing, I know how you sick bastards think.)

Sunday mornings are for hangovers only.

Personally, I love when Jehovah's Witnesses come to my house, they're fun to mess with. When I was 14, a pair of them came around while I was home alone. I untied my dog and let him chase them off. Another time, about a year ago, I soaked myself with fake blood, put on a pig mask, and grabbed a handful of chicken bones out of the garbage and ran outside shouting nonsense at them. Turns out they didn't need those bicycles to get around quickly, they just need proper motivation to run.

Lol. Very nice.

I like to wear nothing but my pink boxer shorts and aviator sunglasses whilst holding a half drank bottle of whiskey when greeting gods advocates.

I like to wear nothing but my pink boxer shorts and aviator sunglasses whilst holding a half drank bottle of whiskey when greeting gods advocates.

Isn't that your normal outfit?

Wait, this isn't the Asylum. Somebody make a "Ways to fuck with solicitors" topic.

I love how massy had some fake blood just lying arounf for that 'just in case' moment.

I deal with JW by either

A) not answering

B) talking to them for ages just for lols, invite them in and discuss devil worship, always fun even when they "have to go now" when i start to rant and sound like a female Alex37

EDIT: thats smiley was meant to be a B ) not a B) lol

QD they dont believe in hell. Infact they have firm beliefs that only few go to heaven the rest are reserected after armagedon because god has cleansed the earth.

I think they believe that "hell" for them is just being dead with no afterlife what so ever. But tbh i dont understand the religion at all.

One came to where I work and left a pamphlet on the table, the cover was all about armageddon and had a picture of meteorites, nuclear missiles and bolts of lightning all converging on a metropolis. I thought it's going to be a busy day that day. I flicked through it just for a laugh but I don't remember what it said.

Moving away from the subject of religion slightly, what do you think does happen when you die? To me it is hard to think that all your thoughts, memories and your entire personality ceases to exist. If you shut your eyes and delve deep inside your mind, you can imagine what shedding your physical form would be like, well at least I can. I mean before life, before we were born... where were we? Our "soul" if you wish to call it that? Floating aimlessly in an ethereal void waiting to be granted the gift of life, if this were the case, how do we not remember it? Where does our collective knowledge go when we die? Does it just die with us? Does it dissipate into the cosmos? The riddles of life fuck with my brain. In a way i'm quite looking forward to death, to see what actually happens.

By the way, welcome to the new, high-brow, cultured corner of the forum where we discuss life's intricate nuances and sup at the nectar of the great philosophers most thought provoking works, this is a place for the learned and unchained mind to roam. As you can see it's not quite finished as there's still a lot of blood and faecal matter on the walls, but it's coming along nicely don't you think?

I used to hate the idea that when you die thats it, i wanted there to be some sort of afterlife. The idea that you leave without a trace. I remember reading a sociologist quote (for the life of me i cant remember the name of the sociologist) but it said that when we die society carries on, like we were not even here ..it may take time for loved ones to mourn but in the end they move on.

But now i find it comforting, to know that when i die thats it. No more thoughts, no more emotion just...nothingness, quiet...peace.

Thats my idea of "heaven".

i dont understand why some people want to be immortal, knowing it will end at some point makes it somewhat easier to live.

As for where we were before we had theis body as a host...well i believe we were nothing, cells, fragments. Soul is only made in conception, it is like DNA, made up of both genes. I dont think there is a "limbo" where souls wait to be picked.

That would make a cool movie tho, like that film 'the island' but with souls instead of clones.

I used to hate the idea that when you die thats it, i wanted there to be some sort of afterlife. The idea that you leave without a trace. I remember reading a sociologist quote (for the life of me i cant remember the name of the sociologist) but it said that when we die society carries on, like we were not even here ..it may take time for loved ones to mourn but in the end they move on.

But now i find it comforting, to know that when i die thats it. No more thoughts, no more emotion just...nothingness, quiet...peace.

Thats my idea of "heaven".

i dont understand why some people want to be immortal, knowing it will end at some point makes it somewhat easier to live.

As for where we were before we had theis body as a host...well i believe we were nothing, cells, fragments. Soul is only made in conception, it is like DNA, made up of both genes. I dont think there is a "limbo" where souls wait to be picked.

That would make a cool movie tho, like that film 'the island' but with souls instead of clones.

But how would it feel to not feel anything, to exist in a plane of nothingness? Some people say it's like going to sleep, but when you go to sleep your mind and your being are still active, how would your mind fade into nothingness... I cannot explain that. I consider myself smart, but this subject has always eluded my grasp of reason and logic, it is incomprehensible even more so that the mysteries of the universe. A few million synapses and some enzymes packed into a hunk of meat are infinitely more complex than the trillions of stars in the known universe.

Hmmm i know what u mean...even in a coma u still have brain wave activity etc most of the time.

I guess i havent given that part much thought. I dont have anything i can write, just a feeling.

Just close your eyes and breath slow, imagine everything gone...every feeling ripping away.

I cant explain how, i guess we will never know until we die. Even if i say its like fainting or something your brain is still active.

Maybe we should start a flatlining club ;) i died when i was born, wish i remembered what happend lol

Hmmm i know what u mean...even in a coma u still have brain wave activity etc most of the time.

I guess i havent given that part much thought. I dont have anything i can write, just a feeling.

Just close your eyes and breath slow, imagine everything gone...every feeling ripping away.

I cant explain how, i guess we will never know until we die. Even if i say its like fainting or something your brain is still active.

Maybe we should start a flatlining club ;) i died when i was born, wish i remembered what happend lol

You're starting to understand where i'm coming from. Proper cerebral stuff.

Who knows how the mind really works from individual to individual... bloke I knew - not that well though, only met him a few times - commited suicide by throwing himself in front of a train Saturday night. I think, how can you override your self-preservation instinct like that, to get into that mindset? I've been depressed before but fuck that, i'd be too much of a coward to throw myself in front of a train. Fuck that... fuuuuck that indeed. Makes you think, really makes you think.