Psy

Website Problems/Issues/Requests

Has the way you apply youtube videos and other media changed? Because i used to just paste the link and the video screen would automatically load on post. Now i just get the link code over-ride this.

Make sure you use an "old" link. Such as www.youtube.com/watch?v=blahblahblah. The new links going around have other crap in there before the v= part.

Also if you manually type in the media tags and post the url in the middle, you need to unlink the text.

Is it possible on here to add voice recordings to posts? On my phone i can record but wondered if it was possible to then attch it to a post.

Another thing, maybe an (optional) newsletter? With frequency depending on the flow of news.

This would remind people that they signed up to the site more than anything. I think a lot of people create an account, start a new topic, post about 2 replies, and then forget they ever came to the site. With a newsletter it would just be a bit of a reminder to people that this site exists and perhaps they'll be more likely to come back, hopefully building our community.

We have nearly 3000 followers on Twitter but they don't keep coming back to visit the site every time something gets posted there. Given that we have the Twitter feed and a Facebook page, a newsletter that would almost certainly die for weeks on end and then have an occasional update to say a trailer is out is probably not going to work out.

Do people even read email newsletters? Most of mine end up in the spam folder.

I'm sure people will disagree but we have tried newsletters in the past and it simply hasn't worked out.

Perhaps then we should make it so that new topics are auto-subscribed, so we get emailed whenever someone replies to our topic. Though, it would also be possible to turn this feature off.

I just find it annoying when people create a topic, then I take the time out reply, and then they disappear!

Also, what about the mobile site thing? I'm not too sure how useful it would be, but I know a lot of websites have the feature. Just an idea.

Is it possible on here to add voice recordings to posts? On my phone i can record but wondered if it was possible to then attch it to a post.

actually, if you figure out how to get the wav or the mp3 on to a computer, you can use a file upload service, then just place the link in media tags...

Also, IMO, the site looks ok on mobile (iphone).. you can see the news and the links to the forum clearly...

A mobile version of the site is the next thing I'm going to try to do. There are quick hacks which I can do on the server to effectively remove all formatting and images from the site, making it completely text-only and perfect for low bandwidth devices, but I'll try to make a seperate template so it looks good on a phone too, but is a lot smaller and simpler in terms of file size and design.

Well for me it works fine on my phone, the only issue is chat as it kicks me if i leave for 2 minutes...but i just re enter it so its not such a big deal. And changing my ave, if i custom change it then it goes back to my old one within hallf hour so i have to go through my twitter, not much of an issue just making you aware of it.

Some mobile versions are not representive of the site, i wouldnt want to miss images etc so i would just stick with the classic view

Why'd I get this?

[#CJOIN-0] There was an error connecting with the chat room. Please notify an administrator.

It's been doin this a while now.

We don't host the chat. If there's a problem with it, it's because IPS (the people that host it) fails.

Well for me it works fine on my phone, the only issue is chat as it kicks me if i leave for 2 minutes...but i just re enter it so its not such a big deal. And changing my ave, if i custom change it then it goes back to my old one within hallf hour so i have to go through my twitter, not much of an issue just making you aware of it.

Some mobile versions are not representive of the site, i wouldnt want to miss images etc so i would just stick with the classic view

All of that is down to the forums and definitely not something I could make any more mobile friendly. All I can work on is the front site.