Sign in to follow this  
DuPz0r

Tablets & Phones - Topical Discussion

Tablet PC's and mobile phones are currently "in" apparently, and there is some nice tech' on its way in the next year or so.

I was just wondering what people think of these new waves of Tablets and their respective operating systems? There is a large market for both Android and iOS, and both offer a different approach, which do you prefer?

I'm personally still waiting for the right tablet for me. I do like the look of some of the latest Android tablets, with their good customizable displays. I like the look of the iPad2's model, but the actual iOS and content does nothing for me. It feels old hat, and doesn't offer anything that will keep me satisfied for more that a week or two.

At the moment, the only tablets I've felt compelled to know more about is the Motorola Xoom 2 which is barely out, but will be upgraded to Android 4.0 Icecream Sandwich in the next week or two. And the Razer: Project Fiona - Windows 8 Gaming tablet, which isn't out for ages.

Xoom 2:

The Razer looks pretty mad, not too keen on the control nubs though.

I got an iPad 2 for my birthday. Didn't really expect it and I've always believed tablets to be redundant. However, since downloading a few productivity apps and buying a stylus, I've found it's quite useful. Not necessary, just useful. My phone and my laptop are more important to me.

Given the choice would you prefer an Andriod Tablet, or would you stick with the ipad 2? The ipad is quintessentially a large ipod/iphone, which to me, is kind of boring. I own an ipod touch, and i don't think I'd really benefit from an ipad.

I dont own an ipad or iphone, however i have played around with both. Tbh as u know ipod touch and iphone are pretty much the same except the iphone is obviously a phone. The ipad is the same, it feels more like a computer but in the end its just a bigger ipod touch. I wasnt overly impressed with it. I havent tried any other tablet but a friend of mine has the samsung galaxy and uses it all the time, she loves it.

I've never tried the android OS so I can't really comment. But I feel that it does everything you'd expect it to. The games are quite fun and it's a good way to surf the Internet without having to drag your laptop around or use your small screen phone. Whether that justifies a £300-400 price tag is debatable, depends how much money you have to throw.

I have an android tablet and ive used ipads many times and owned an ipod for 2+ years. i personaly like Android much better. there is a lot to do on it that you cant on apple. For example you can just go on the internet and download an app and use the "Application Installer" and just install it without jailbreaking it or anything. you can also root it and get tons of cool features. i have something that does Face Unlock with the front camera and once i decided to convert the thing to linux just for fun. Basically i love the customization that it offers, pretty much every aspect is customizable and makes it a lot better.

BTW i mostly use it for watching movies and in addition to netflix you can stream stuff from browsers which is a ton better than netflix.