Saints Row

Guest Marney1

General Saints Row topic.

Random screens.

sr3_09_CarShot.jpg

Angels_Lobby.jpg

Edited by Massacre
Turned into general SR topic.

yup... and it will deliver on it's goal of being an over the top b-movie action film full of gangster flavor, just like avatar delivered on being the same exact movie everyone has already seen... the driving and shooting is completely arcade-like, cars felt weightless in SR2 and got stuck on minor obstacles, and the bullet-detection and aim was hard to get used to, and usually just resulted in sprayin' n' prayin'... but, it's still a fun little sandbox, and i am all about a good time in the kitty litter...

I can't believe how much of a blatant ripoff that map is.

gtaiv_map_hq.jpg

I didn't really get into the SR2. The coolest thing was that you could smoke blunts out of your inventory. Everything else was too ridiculous. That said, I need to pick the game back up so I can finish it. I got started and got distracted by better games.

I probably won't touch SR3 until 2013, if ever.

I can't believe how much of a blatant ripoff that map is.

[/img]

I didn't really get into the SR2. The coolest thing was that you could smoke blunts out of your inventory. Everything else was too ridiculous. That said, I need to pick the game back up so I can finish it. I got started and got distracted by better games.

I probably won't touch SR3 until 2013, if ever.

I know what you mean. Same thing happened to me. I think i got to a mission where i had to spray shit all over the street through a fire-engine or some shit. Then Far Cry2 swept me off my feet!

i bet you could fit all of steelport into broker... and for those who haven't beaten SR2, you'll be lucky if you can pick your file back up where it was... the game got so ridiculously hard near the end... and the final mission was so fucking hard that i know of at least two people that gave up and cheated to beat it...

lets just say it involves flying a helicopter, while shooting very small select targets, while dodging incoming rockets, knowing full well that even ONE rocket can kill you and end the 5 minute frenzy that is the missions finale...

i helped PS-fagboy with that final mission, and he was one that cheated... and even cheating is fucking hard because you still have to enter the health cheat every single time you get hit by a rocket...

let's just hope SR3's ending isn't that fucking ridicously hard to deal with... i got used to the enemies that scaled up as you got further, but that final mission was 5X harder than any other mission in the game... the difficulty scale was WAAAAAY off... at least give the helicopter the ability to withstand a few rockets...

i am proud to say i beat it legit... but only after about 20 retries... one of my good friends got stuck on the final mission and never played the game again...

i bet you could fit all of steelport into broker... and for those who haven't beaten SR2, you'll be lucky if you can pick your file back up where it was... the game got so ridiculously hard near the end... and the final mission was so fucking hard that i know of at least two people that gave up and cheated to beat it...

lets just say it involves flying a helicopter, while shooting very small select targets, while dodging incoming rockets, knowing full well that even ONE rocket can kill you and end the 5 minute frenzy that is the missions finale...

i helped PS-fagboy with that final mission, and he was one that cheated... and even cheating is fucking hard because you still have to enter the health cheat every single time you get hit by a rocket...

let's just hope SR3's ending isn't that fucking ridicously hard to deal with... i got used to the enemies that scaled up as you got further, but that final mission was 5X harder than any other mission in the game... the difficulty scale was WAAAAAY off... at least give the helicopter the ability to withstand a few rockets...

i am proud to say i beat it legit... but only after about 20 retries... one of my good friends got stuck on the final mission and never played the game again...

Be glad you didn't like it enough to buy the DLC. The DLC was basically Volition saying "Fuck it, we're not going to make creative missions, we'll just throw as many Ultor security guards (the SWAT guys) at people as we possibly can."

They kind of seem like they're getting their shit together for this game, but then, at first, it also seemed that way for SR2.

• Like 1

While i was quite attached to the trannie-negro prince impersonator that i created in SR2, once i finished the game, i never gave it a second thought. The replay value was zilch. Actually, just like Dup, i was keen to get into Far Cry 2.

I made the mistake of picking up SR2 at release. I won't do that again. If i see "The Turd" for $20, i might think about buying it, but only if i'm really desperate for something to play.

I gotta say the way they marketed the second one was brilliant. A commercial like would you want to go to a cabaret club or spray shit on people. Something like that. Making GTA sound do lame. Didn't work on me cause I look into games I buy and I know GTA is class and sr aint. but for average joe buying a game that would probably have a good affect.

And FFS that map....lol. That's all I can say about that.

So this game will be like Avatar: everything you've already seen mashed together into one drawn out, over-hyped, POS.

^This. It's like they go through every GTA "want" list on the internet and add every stupid little feature you can think of but forget about characterisation, realism, etcetera.This is one game that IMO would be better off without the create a character feature. The humour is nowhere near as subtle and thoughtout as GTA, and despite the excess of features, it's nowhere near as fun to play. I finished SR2 within a week of it coming out and never picked it up again.

So this game will be like Avatar: everything you've already seen mashed together into one drawn out, over-hyped, POS.

^This. It's like they go through every GTA "want" list on the internet and add every stupid little feature you can think of but forget about characterisation, realism, etcetera.This is one game that IMO would be better off without the create a character feature. The humour is nowhere near as subtle and thoughtout as GTA, and despite the excess of features, it's nowhere near as fun to play. I finished SR2 within a week of it coming out and never picked it up again.

customization is the biggest draw to saint's row... why would they remove their most popular feature?? this isn't meant to be taken serious, and all of the off-the-wall stuff is what it strives for... i find it funny that people don't like saint's row because it's a GTA ripoff, or isn't up to GTA standards...

saint's row isn't trying to compete with GTA, they are just trying to offer the fans of GTA something else to do while they await the next entry in the series... and if they are trolling GTA forums for ideas then, more power to them... R* doesn't do that, they put in what they want to... you play their game while SR tries to deliver the game you want to play...

i'll always like saints row but, i know it isn't even nearly as good as GTA... but, it's good enough and fun to play... that's all i look for in games... critics and gamers these days are too critical of games and expect nothing short of perfection... what ever happened to sitting back and having some good old fashioned fun??

• Like 2

customization is the biggest draw to saint's row... why would they remove their most popular feature??

Because if they removed the possibilty to create your own character and created the character for you, it would probably have a bit of substance to it. Just my opinion.

this isn't meant to be taken serious, and all of the off-the-wall stuff is what it strives for... i find it funny that people don't like saint's row because it's a GTA ripoff, or isn't up to GTA standards...

I don't take it seriously, but I don't find it particularly entertaining either. Being a GTA clone is not the reason I don't like Saint's Row, if that were the case I wouldn't have bought the second one in the first place. I didn't like it because, as it's own game, I thought it was crap. Again, my opinion.

saint's row isn't trying to compete with GTA, they are just trying to offer the fans of GTA something else to do while they await the next entry in the series...

This just simply isn't true, of course they want to steal away as many GTA fans as they can, it's how they make money. And aside from any fuzzy notions of games developers having this kind of altruistic intention towards gamers, they still work for a publisher and publishers want to make money. Just because they can't compete with GTA, doesn't mean that they don't want to. Money is the bottom line in the games industry as it is in every industry.

and if they are trolling GTA forums for ideas then, more power to them... R* doesn't do that, they put in what they want to... you play their game while SR tries to deliver the game you want to play...

Rockstar do pay attention to what people post on forums, but are selective about what actually makes it into the game this to me seems a far better formula than adding every feature under the sun while ignoring the other aspects of the game.

i'll always like saints row but, i know it isn't even nearly as good as GTA... but, it's good enough and fun to play... that's all i look for in games... critics and gamers these days are too critical of games and expect nothing short of perfection... what ever happened to sitting back and having some good old fashioned fun??

I didn't find it very fun, yet again this is my personal opinion. If you enjoyed the game, that's brilliant, but I can't help feeling that I got duped. I don't expect anyone to change their opinions to suit mine though, if everyone had the same opinions as me, the world would be a very boring place. :)

This just simply isn't true, of course they want to steal away as many GTA fans as they can, it's how they make money. And aside from any fuzzy notions of games developers having this kind of altruistic intention towards gamers, they still work for a publisher and publishers want to make money. Just because they can't compete with GTA, doesn't mean that they don't want to. Money is the bottom line in the games industry as it is in every industry.

while i do see your view and opinion on this subject, i don't fully understand the above one... volition isn't trying to steal GTA fans away from GTA, they are trying to offer the millions of GTA fans another experience to keep the open-world city game genre rolling along with another entry... they need GTA and it's success if they want any success themselves... GTA is the godfather of the genre, and if they are to have any success, they have to respect GTA and try to create something fans of GTA would enjoy playing...

again, it's not for everyone, like yourself, but it is a fun urban sandbox that millions of GTA fans love and anticipate... if volition can even pull in 10% of GTAIV's fanbase with SR3, they would have a winner on their hands... they can't compete with a franchise that sells over 10 million units for each entry, they only hope to provide something for some of those 10 million fans to enjoy as well... which would mean great success...

------

in other news, the official trailer has been released... alas, game informer is blocked at work so, i'll have to wait for a youtube video, or wait until i get home to see it... it doesn't sound like i am missing much, but enjoy anyways...

http://www.vg247.com/2011/03/31/first-saints-row-the-third-trailer-goes-live/

Trailer is kind of funny, but not really worth watching. Around 18 seconds of logos, then a guy getting punched in the balls, then "Saints Row: The Third," and "Holiday 2011." End of trailer.