Guest Marney-1

Scarface Limited Edition Blu-Ray: $999.99

If you’ve been wanting to prove your masculinity by dropping $999.99 on Scarface, you’re in luck: As of Sept. 6, Universal Studios Home Entertainment is releasing a limited edition package of the film for nearly $1,000 which includes everything except a real-life Cuban drug lord and a pile of cocaine big enough to correct your inferiority complex.

On the plus side, the package will include a documentary on the film’s effect on culture, a scorecard feature (allowing you to keep track of the number of F-words said and bullets fired), a digital copy of the movie, a copy of the original 1932 black and white classic, and a new edition of the film (previewed below) that comes with a hand-painted humidor.

Yes, for just $999.99 all of that could be yours, but you have to act fast: only 1000 will be issued. And to think, this isn’t even the 30th anniversary edition.

lol, what a rip. For 'just' $999.99, i could buy a gun, coke, chainsaw, hawaiian shirt, and Michelle Pfeiffer's ageing arse for a hour of fun. Probably. The Aussie dollar's quite good at the moment.

If you’ve been wanting to prove your masculinity by dropping $999.99 on Scarface, you’re in luck: As of Sept. 6, Universal Studios Home Entertainment is releasing a limited edition package of the film for nearly $1,000 which includes everything except a real-life Cuban drug lord and a pile of cocaine big enough to correct your inferiority complex.

On the plus side, the package will include a documentary on the film’s effect on culture, a scorecard feature (allowing you to keep track of the number of F-words said and bullets fired), a digital copy of the movie, a copy of the original 1932 black and white classic, and a new edition of the film (previewed below) that comes with a hand-painted humidor.

Yes, for just $999.99 all of that could be yours, but you have to act fast: only 1000 will be issued. And to think, this isn’t even the 30th anniversary edition.

lol, what a rip. For 'just' $999.99, i could buy a gun, coke, chainsaw, hawaiian shirt, and Michelle Pfeiffer's ageing arse for a hour of fun. Probably. The Aussie dollar's quite good at the moment.

And I have all those things except the one that really matters...

Yeah, I can paint a humidor myself, and that's where all the cost comes from.

Actually, anyone who sends me a humidor, I'll paint it for free, plus the cost of shipping.

Have it on DVD already, that'll do me.

exactly... as a matter of fact, i watched it about 3 weeks ago too... but if there is a standard edition, i might consider buying it since it is one of my favorite movies and it can be dark in places... it could use a nice HD touch up...

pelican_fly_near_h20.jpg

look at the pelicans fly... come on pelican!!

Guest Marney1

look at the pelicans fly... come on pelican!! < That just made me choke with laughter for some reason, man - stupidest shit just hits me sometimes. Still laughing now. :lol:

Have it on DVD already, that'll do me.

exactly... as a matter of fact, i watched it about 3 weeks ago too... but if there is a standard edition, i might consider buying it since it is one of my favorite movies and it can be dark in places... it could use a nice HD touch up...

It's one of my favourite gangster films too. I owned it on VHS, and i said back then i wouldn't buy a DVD version, but i did. Now Blu-ray. You just have to move with the times otherwise your old films could render useless eventually.

I guess this time though Blu-ray isn't so ground breaking. Digital distribution is on the up and Blu-ray is just there.

I'll get it on blu-ray though. As long as it's a reasonable price.

It's one of my favourite gangster films too. I owned it on VHS, and i said back then i wouldn't buy a DVD version, but i did. Now Blu-ray. You just have to move with the times otherwise your old films could render useless eventually.

So I guess you're the sort of person who buys a new phone every six months to keep up with all the latest faggy "trends" and "apps". :D

A DVD does me just fine, as long as I have a DVD player I can watch it quite easily. I don't think i'd notice any discernable difference between DVD and Blu-ray versions anyway.

there's a pretty big difference with SD to HD... and the digitally remastered films look like they were filmed with the latest technology... i am all for older movies getting this treatment since a lot of the older films are dark and fuzzy compared to today's high definition films... i think a remastered scarface has been long overdue... a lot of classic films have already been remastered...

So I guess you're the sort of person who buys a new phone every six months to keep up with all the latest faggy "trends" and "apps". :D

A DVD does me just fine, as long as I have a DVD player I can watch it quite easily. I don't think i'd notice any discernable difference between DVD and Blu-ray versions anyway.

Actually I'm not. I had the same phone for 4 years until my wife finally got me a new contract phone in her name, just to upgrade the relic. Phones arent that big part of my lifestyle. Where-as films and games are.

Guest Marney1

I had a similar attitude before I got Flight 666 on Blu-Ray, if you haven't watched a film on Blu-Ray/HD/whatever you can't really imagine how it could be much better than a DVD, until you've watched one.

This is absolutely retarded if true. I'm sure someone will end up ripping the BD, no reason to purchase it at all.

bought -> THIS VERSION <- for something like $10-$15 on a blu-ray sale on amazon... i was just now shocked to see what it goes for these days... i feel like i should of never opened it, but the blu-ray version is so much better... the world comes to life in HD... no more dark corners or scenes at night being lost in the darkness... no more blurry scenes or extremely loud BG music blasting over the dialog... all was brought back to life...

i was waiting YEARS for a blu-ray copy... one of my all-time favorite movies finally got the HD remastered treament... and of all the movies out there, this was the one that needed it the most...

EDIT: just looked it up, since amazon lets you know when you've bought this item ;)... $11.99... seriously...

• Like 1

To be honest i've never noticed the difference between HD and SD, then again i've never sat down and actually watched a Blu-Ray film fully. When you see them in the shop you have nothing to compare it to so it looks the same.

I agree 100%. The HD remastered version is amazing. I can't get my head around the process, although i know it involves projecting the old film reels at a higher def using digital technology, and then lots of grading. I just can't understand how they managed to get it so crisp. I guess that goes to show, old film negatives can be projected quite high res. I might have to go back and look for some old negatives from my younger days and see if i can get them printed with digital technology.

You also mentioned the sound which is a good point. I watched this film so much, i used to end up falling asleep towards the end, and then being woken abruptly by the final showdown gun fire in the mansion. They managed to balance the sound effects a lot better this time around, for sure.

Trust me Vicey, you'll notice the difference with this film. Like Goodfellas the original was pretty grainy and low quality, also it was interlaced, so you never really had a clear frame, it was always crosshatched with the next. The blu-ray version is so much clearer visually, and the sound is remastered completely.

Original:

SCARFACE-131.jpg

SCARFACE-22.jpg

tumblr_m9tyezmhzq1qdwtljo1_1280.png

HD:

scarface2609.jpg

00800m2ts_snapshot_002533_20110910_142300-1.jpg

scarface20601.jpg

scarface10148.jpg

• Like 1

You also mentioned the sound which is a good point. I watched this film so much, i used to end up falling asleep towards the end, and then being woken abruptly by the final showdown gun fire in the mansion. They managed to balance the sound effects a lot better this time around, for sure.

Now you can sleep through the whole thing? :P I might just get this now I know it won't set me back my life savings.

• Like 1