rm80rams

The Last of Us

I put my name down at GAME last month to get an exclusive free play of the game tomorrow afternoon. They're doing an evening lock-in with free pizza and stuff for free, so i couldn't turn that down. Some of the reviews I've seen are a bit iffy. So hopefully i'll play the same demo they did, and judge it for my self.

So, i'm not watching any of the video above because it will probably be what i'll be playing.

So i played The Last of Us. It wasn't an "official" demo like you'd get on PSN or anything. It was a pre-alpha demo, running on normal PS3's not dev kits. I was told no photos or videos, but i still stealth'd a couple of images. ;)

NOTE - I wont discuss any of the dialogue, so don't worry about spoilers. (not that any of the dialogue felt spoliery anyway)

I was first in, and quickly to one of 8 Play-stations (pun yeah) :P. I was then told that the demo was somewhere in the middle of the game. And One of the guys keyed in some code and the demo started. My screen look particularly sharp compared to some of the screens (which looked much smoother), and the GAME employee said it was the TV settings on the screen not the game.

UQPwcNm.jpg

As soon as the game starts, we're in some streets surrounded by beautiful destroyed buildings and foliage (as you'd expect). Joel and Ellie were accompanied by a women called Tess, and they were looking for a specific building to get to. As i take control of the Joel i get used to the controls. Movement seemed sluggish at first, but after a few minutes i had already forgotten about it, and they felt more natural, and seemed quite a lot like Uncharted mechanics.

Without spoiling anything, i did a few bits of problem solving and sneaking around with tense dark hallways, until i see my first shroom-head. I have a little struggle and melee mash the thing's face in. After this i encounter more, and in groups and have to figure out how to take them all out strategically (a little like I Am Alive actually). At this point i noticed people around me dying at this stage and passing the controller to other people waiting, so i carefully took my time working them out, and managed to successfully stealth them all without causing a fungus fuck.

zukuykZ.jpg

I didn't get any pics of the fights or anything in the middle of the demo as it was terrifying enough walking around in the dark trying to listen out for clickers and seeing murky silhouettes in the background contorting towards me... This scary section took place in a metro station after falling from an office block window lift. I finally got out back to street level and had to do a bit more problem solving and shitaki bashing, before fleeing and barely escaping mushroom soup.

er7n8Tl.jpg

Anyway, put simply: the game was fun, without a doubt. The need to conserve ammo was really relevant from the get go. Even though i managed to collect a handgun, a revolver and a shotgun, i had one or two shots on each. I used the shotgun in a tight spot in the metro, where i alerted a few clickers because i couldn't use my stealth strangle attack and had to stab it in the neck instead, which caused it to shriek. I also found plenty of melee weapons like metal poles, wood blocks, even Molotov's, bricks and bottles for distracting purposes if i wished. The melee attack was smooth and really felt like i was doing damage when i made those deadly blows.

The demo took me about 30 minutes to complete. I played calmly and carefully though, and took my time picking up any loot i could find in each area, and killing every athlete's foot in each section. I only used one medi-kit which i had to make from loot supplies. That was the struggle in the metro. I made a couple of daggers too. That stuff is really simple to do, and quick which is also important.

This is definitely a title not to miss if you own a PS3.

• Like 1

Fungus fuck. That is pure gold. Permission to use that in my day-to-day life?

That mini-preview genuinely made me want that game. It sounds like quite the immersive experience. Were you forced to listen through TV speakers, DuP?

Yeah i had a hard time hearing the dialogue as my tv was a bit low and i had to hear it among all the jizzing gamers. So navigating was tricky at times, as i didn't hear where i was meant to go, and some of the map areas were puzzling.

About 24 reviewers gave it a 10/10. Only Gamespot so far gave it a 8/10.

Just pre-ordered it.

I was waiting for the reviews to tell me it was more than 6 hours long, and had a half decent story.

From what the reviews are saying, it looks like it will be the best PS3 Exclusive ever...

wow, maybe i need to buy this too... i've read two reviews... one positive and one negative... and even the negative one wasn't that bad to read, it was from polygon i think... i can't believe this game could take nearly 30 hours for a slow player like myself, that's like the length of playing GTA for me...

• Like 2