Sign in to follow this  
PedestrianRiotz

GTA V Apparently set in 2008?

Guest Marney1

I never was one to take much interest in US number plates but I'm assuming the video is trying to show that those circled plates look like '08 plates. I've been presuming GTA V will take place in 2012 myself, purely because Rockstar registered GTA2012.com. Hope it's in 2012.

• Like 1

That's very perceptive! I hope it's in 2012 though, so much could be parodied. 08 was already in IV if I'm not mistaken.

I'm also not sure about US number plates, but here where I live a lot of people don't renew their service stickers (or whatever they're called), resulting in cars with stickers from '05 and such, while some have '12 already.

That's very perceptive! I hope it's in 2012 though, so much could be parodied. 08 was already in IV if I'm not mistaken.

I'm also not sure about US number plates, but here where I live a lot of people don't renew their service stickers (or whatever they're called), resulting in cars with stickers from '05 and such, while some have '12 already.

Very good point, but every care seems to have the same one lmao

An interesting find but it is possible Rockstar didn't look that far into detail and just picked an orange color for the sticker. Looking at a year closer to now, the 2011 stickers are red (similar to orange) and the sticker colors follow a 5 year pattern as shown here (up to 2006 but the pattern continues with 2010 being yellow, 2011 red, 2012 teal). So 2003, 2008, and 2013 are (and will be) orange.

pic of cop's plate for your viewing pleasure:

post-3-0-38957300-1322934723.png

We can also play around with the possibility that the guy in the blue car is a younger "old guy". Which would throw the story around different years. But that's another discussion. -_-

Well I actually do believe rockstar have went that far into detail tbh because as you can see they have already gave cars their own unique plate numbers

Good points on the colours, I'm not american so I wouldn't know anything like that xO

but 2013 sounds the closest but I'd rather see them have the game set in 2011 so there could be all these little fun conspiracies and rumours of 2012

Then again it could be set in 2012 as that would still make sense as the world is only supposed to end on the 21st December so 2012 or 2011 im happy

Guest Marney1

Well I actually do believe rockstar have went that far into detail tbh because as you can see they have already gave cars their own unique plate numbers

Good points on the colours, I'm not american so I wouldn't know anything like that xO

but 2013 sounds the closest but I'd rather see them have the game set in 2011 so there could be all these little fun conspiracies and rumours of 2012

Then again it could be set in 2012 as that would still make sense as the world is only supposed to end on the 21st December so 2012 or 2011 im happy

I don't know if it's possible but I'd like to be able to tell someone on the forums "Hey I saw this cool car - registration number blah blah check it out!" - but I have a feeling they'll just appear totally random like in L.A. Noire where you never find the same vehicle bearing the same reg' in the same place twice.

I don't know if it's possible but I'd like to be able to tell someone on the forums "Hey I saw this cool car - registration number blah blah check it out!" - but I have a feeling they'll just appear totally random like in L.A. Noire where you never find the same vehicle bearing the same reg' in the same place twice.

Oh hell yh of course lol I dont expect every single car to have a different reg number cos cars respawn etc but im just saying they have obviously worked harder on the little details and rockstar did say this was gonna be their best game yet, meaning better than RDR and L.A. Noire, thats a lot to live up to

Guest Marney1

Oh hell yh of course lol I dont expect every single car to have a different reg number cos cars respawn etc but im just saying they have obviously worked harder on the little details and rockstar did say this was gonna be their best game yet, meaning better than RDR and L.A. Noire, thats a lot to live up to

I DO expect every vehicle to have a unique reg' I just don't expect to be able to find the Futo I saw parked up last night on Hollywood Boulevard to be there today - if you get my drift?

At least its something that could be correct and not a load of rubbish. So good work, this is a thread i dont mind reading.

Question is, what difference does it make? There won't be any appreciable difference whether it's set in 2008 or 2012. None of the games are really set in a specific year, just an era that Rockstar can draw ideas from.

I DO expect every vehicle to have a unique reg' I just don't expect to be able to find the Futo I saw parked up last night on Hollywood Boulevard to be there today - if you get my drift?

Haha yeah I get what you mean now

At least its something that could be correct and not a load of rubbish. So good work, this is a thread i dont mind reading.

thanks bud

Question is, what difference does it make? There won't be any appreciable difference whether it's set in 2008 or 2012. None of the games are really set in a specific year, just an era that Rockstar can draw ideas from.

Well actually it would have a difference, if it is in fact in 2008 it is that year for a reason, it may be because they want to set up things like hearing news reports on tv from the previous game in liberty city, niko may still play some part, the intro could show him getting off the plane in san andreas. But it is a big deal, if it is based around 2008, there will be several reasons for it

Well actually it would have a difference, if it is in fact in 2008 it is that year for a reason, it may be because they want to set up things like hearing news reports on tv from the previous game in liberty city, niko may still play some part, the intro could show him getting off the plane in san andreas. But it is a big deal, if it is based around 2008, there will be several reasons for it

Regardless of what year it's set in we'll hear stuff about LC and I'm sure Niko would still be alive four years later, if you're that desperate to see him again. In terms of gameplay though, it'll make no difference. GTA IV still feels like it's set today. The city, cars, story, satirical shit, etc, all rings true to things happening in todays world.

Regardless of what year it's set in we'll hear stuff about LC and I'm sure Niko would still be alive four years later, if you're that desperate to see him again. In terms of gameplay though, it'll make no difference. GTA IV still feels like it's set today. The city, cars, story, satirical shit, etc, all rings true to things happening in todays world.

I'm not desperate to see him in the game, I didn't state that neither. I was just trying to come up with reasons. However I just found out I'm basically just a user on this site who is basically the same as every other user on this site. Yep nothing official but I'll try and contact Rockstar and get you that answer as it seems pretty damn important and it seems you feel strongly about this. I'll make this happen. :D

I'm not desperate to see him in the game, I didn't state that neither. I was just trying to come up with reasons. However I just found out I'm basically just a user on this site who is basically the same as every other user on this site. Yep nothing official but I'll try and contact Rockstar and get you that answer as it seems pretty damn important and it seems you feel strongly about this. I'll make this happen. :D

Well I was trying to set up a somewhat intelligent discussion but you've completely ignored my question asking why it matters whether it's set in 2008 or 2012 (unless your answer of Niko being in it was your answer). Clearly I made a mistake by trying to do that. I'll treat you like an idiot from now on :)

Well I was trying to set up a somewhat intelligent discussion but you've completely ignored my question asking why it matters whether it's set in 2008 or 2012 (unless your answer of Niko being in it was your answer). Clearly I made a mistake by trying to do that. I'll treat you like an idiot from now on :)

You were trying to set up an "intelligent discussion" (big fancy words here)? Maybe you should look back at your comments because they in no way seemed intelligent to me, I'll go ahead and just quote you on my favourite part of your comment, "The city, cars, story, satirical shit, etc". Now, I thought I made it clear in my comment that someone like me wouldn't have the answers and "I was just trying to come up with reasons." I brought up the reasons I thought it might matter, I thought the GTA V would be a direct sequel to GTA IV or at least be happening at the same time. I did not ignore your question, if I had what I thought were some genuine reasons you would of seen them. But please don't treat me like the idiot because it will hurt my feewins :(

You were trying to set up an "intelligent discussion" (big fancy words here)? Maybe you should look back at your comments because they in no way seemed intelligent to me, I'll go ahead and just quote you on my favourite part of your comment, "The city, cars, story, satirical shit, etc". Now, I thought I made it clear in my comment that someone like me wouldn't have the answers and "I was just trying to come up with reasons." I brought up the reasons I thought it might matter, I thought the GTA V would be a direct sequel to GTA IV or at least be happening at the same time. I did not ignore your question, if I had what I thought were some genuine reasons you would of seen them. But please don't treat me like the idiot because it will hurt my feewins :(

You should set up a blog if you want to post things and not receive replies to them.

(lol @ 'discussion' being a big word)

• Like 1

I think he meant intelligent duff. Plus pedestrianriot duff is admin, pickin a right with the wrong person.

Not gonna ban anyone for arguing. Hate it when people pull that "I just found out I'm basically just a user on this site who is basically the same as every other user on this site" shit though, just cos my name is in red. Believe it or not I'm here as a GTA fan :rolleyes:

I live in North Carolina and when I get my new registration sticker it is the color for the next year and doesn't expire until then. For instance, my new registration sticker this year is next year's color but the one I had the first few months of this year was this year's color. The new one I get next year will be 2013's color to show that it expires then. So if they have orange registration stickers every five years in California and they did in 08 it makes sense to me that it could still be 2012 with the 2013 registration stickers on the cars.. Unless they do it differently there.