I was just thinking. If the game is set only in Los Santos, which is pretty much confirmed now. Will it be bigger than San Andreas in terms of actual map size? I realize San Andreas covered three cities and surrounding countryside, but everything was shrunk down and the cities were far smaller than any real city. GTA V clearly looks much richer in detail and bigger looking from what we have seen of it so far. But will it actually be bigger than San Andreas, or ever Red Dead?, since Rockstar have mentioned it is the largest and most ambitious game yet in their latest statement.

Might as well start discussing it, but don't moan that the game is going to suck because it's not going to be San Andreas, that's not the point of this thread.

Personally I hope it is bigger. And i hope to see loads of small country towns sprawled out over the countrysides, full of interesting characters to do side missions for and what not.

/edit

Here is some of the hard work put in by members on this forum:

'Fitty's Map (Final):

gta-v-map-by-treefitty-pre-reveal-final.png

DuPz' map (Final):

thumbnail_448.png

Banana Pudding's map:

Tnkg3Do.png

Los Santos Blueprints:

jV5ODd1.png

5Lq9DKV.jpg

Image from an achievement/trophy icon:

-QtaEA==.jpg83036.png

Brady Games Map:

TNnkFHn.jpg

• Like 17

I was just thinking. If the game is set only in Los Santos, which is pretty much confirmed now. Will it be bigger than San Andreas in terms of actual map size? I realize San Andreas covered three cities and surrounding countryside, but everything was shrunk down and the cities were far smaller than any real city. GTA V clearly looks much richer in detail and bigger looking from what we have seen of it so far. But will it actually be bigger than San Andreas, or ever Red Dead?, since Rockstar have mentioned it is the largest and most ambitious game yet in their latest statement.

Might as well start discussing it, but don't moan that the game is going to suck because it's not going to be San Andreas, that's not the point of this thread.

Personally I hope it is bigger. And i hope to see loads of small country towns sprawled out over the countrysides, full of interesting characters to do side missions for and what not.

I think you've summed it up perfectly, initially I was disappointed it wasn't all of SA but the more I think about it just being Los Santo's the more I like the sound of it. R* know what they are doing and it could well be bigger than SA and maybe 10 years down the line bigger and better consoles we will see the whole of the SA but for now what we possibly have is like SA the defining game of a generation which strikes the balance between what SA & IV offered.

• Like 1

i believe that the map will be very large, maybe not as large as the original San Andreas as a whole but very close infact, too me LIberty City was big, yet so small at the same time, i think we may see a map that we may actully be able to get lost in lol

• Like 3

With the planes in there has to be at least two airports, otherwise whats the point?

What I'm hoping for is a good medium-sized city on the other side of the map from Los Santos. Something like San Diego would be perfect.

• Like 5

With the planes in there has to be at least two airports, otherwise whats the point?

What I'm hoping for is a good medium-sized city on the other side of the map from Los Santos. Something like San Diego would be perfect.

Well they mentioned South California, if it was pretty much just LA i doubt they would have mentioned it, San Diego I believe is pretty likely.

Well they mentioned South California, if it was pretty much just LA i doubt they would have mentioned it, San Diego I believe is pretty likely.

Ya, San Diego is due south from LA on I-5, which just so happens to be the Interstate number used in the trailer?

Coincidence? I hope not. ;)

• Like 1

Many people who know RockStar should know how much they love teasing and not tell anybody everything but just give out hershey sized kisses until you get the satisfaction of a full bar, just pay attention where that jet at the end is going, south of Vinewood. Now I know there isn't any sort of airway for a big fancy plane like that coming from the country or woods, Think more beyond north, remember the place on whatever happens there, stays there. ;)

• Like 2

Well Ontario has an INT airport and it's WAY closer than San Diego. I wonder if there will be suburbs rather than LS surrounded by immediate countryside in SA.

I agree with this, and I do think it will be bigger than San Andreas since they said "the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created." I think Los Santos will be at least 3x the size it was in San Andreas, and I think they will also include Mt. Chiliad from what I can see in the trailer.

"Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California. " Possibility of another famous town in SoCal... San Diego? I think that would fit perfectly, a parody of San Diego just south of Los Santos, which would be big enough for an airport etc...

"Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches" This means there is countryside, possibly even desert as seen in the trailer, and that creates a large possibility of small villages/towns like Blueberry fro San Andreas.

• Like 1

Well Ontario has an INT airport and it's WAY closer than San Diego. I wonder if there will be suburbs rather than LS surrounded by immediate countryside in SA.

Ontario is so close to LA that its practically a suburb. I'd like a city that would be on the other side of the country side, not an airport of the other side of town.

but im sure they said Los Santos is the only "Major" City, which leads me to think that there are other cities but just not as vast as they will make Los Santos, i mean correct me if im wrong but sounds to me like there will be possible 2 little cities and some backwater towns (R* aren't going to pass up on some hillbilly bashing) my confidence has been restored and tbh if im wrong and it is jus Los Santos and some countryside, I expect a heap of features that haven't existed in other GTA games, Dan Houser is arguably the best games designer in the world period and I expect another classic, haters will hate IV but we all know that technically nothing even compares to it.

• Like 1

I think it'll be all of the countryside right up to where San Fierro started. I hadn't even thought of little towns yet.

Mt. Chiliad being shown in the trailer makes me think we'll be able to climb to the top again.. I hope so!

I'm 90% sure it'll be bigger than them all... They said it was bigger and more ambitious for a reason. It's gonna be intensely good...

OPX has it right, planes weren't in IV for a reason. They said it was too small. Now they've got a fighter jet. In case some didn't notice, they're quick... It has to be substantial.

Jamez - Good points. Algonquin was, arguably, the major 'city' in IV. I know it was all LC, but it was the major island, I'm expecting at least one town in the outback somewhere as large as Bohan. Which is pretty hefty when you attach it to land rather than an island...

Algonquin had all the parts that a city required and the other islands were where I spent most of my time, causing havoc in Bohan and Broker. The freeway on Alderney is still where I go to raise the most hell.. Throwing mf'ers off the gaps in the fence and causing massive explosions.

Man I can't WAIT for V!

well with people saying about San Diego that would be interesting, I think you will have 2 small cities or one medium outside of LS, I just hope there is stuff to do in the countryside, but faith has been restored and if its their most ambitious game I dont think they just mean size, I think they mean other things to, I would quite like to see the drug running game in V that was quite addictive on CTW aslong as you have something to spend the money on in the game, I really do hope they put in some more customization too kinda depressing to only edit your character a little.

Have you read the article by TF on the home page? The trailer breakdown scene by scene? All that's in the trailer restored my faith and then reading all the little bits I've missed just made me so much more excited.

Ya, San Diego is due south from LA on I-5, which just so happens to be the Interstate number used in the trailer?

Coincidence? I hope not. ;)

That's interesting. I've never been to the west coast, and I'm not very educated when it comes to the geography of the US. So could this Los Puarta on i-5 be San Diego? or would be just be a different district in Los Santos?. I noticed the road sign said North Los Puarta Freeway. And South Los Puarta Freeway.

If there's 'only' going to be one city and the countryside then it could be bigger than SA, countryside doesn't have to be that detailed but can still look amazing and be massive (Just Cause 2, probably Red Dead but I haven't played that yet fucking R*) so it could be much bigger than SA, but I still wonder how they will do it for the consoles. I thought they would have just go with Vice City for this generation and then wait for Next Gen to do San Andreas.

As for Airports. I'm guessing you'll have the International Airport in the city. A military base with an airfield. And one or more dust strips like the one in SA.

• Like 1

My take on this, R* are saying it's their "biggest" project to date. So bigger than SA, RDR, GTA IV and L.A. Noire. However that just applies to the map, not the city. The city I think will probably be slighty smaller or at least feel smaller than IV. Liberty City was more of a compacted vertical mass of buildings much like New York is (duh,) whereas Los Santos/LA is more of a sprawling low-rise city. So the city may be bigger in terms of area covered, but not in density. Then we have to add the surrounding coutryside which I think should be around three times as large as the city, at least that's what would feel natural to me. We don't know about other cities yet but I would expect one or two backwater towns at the least.

I mentioned elsewhere that if we took L.A. Noire's map, condensed it so it's half the size (R* never fully recreate cities to their full size in GTA games) and plonked it in the middle of RDR's wilderness we might have a good idea of what to expect.

• Like 1

I find it odd that everyone's reading 'biggest' as literally the biggest game/map, when it probably just means it their most ambitious and expansive game. Doesn't imply that it's their biggest map at all.

I find it odd that everyone's reading 'biggest' as literally the biggest game/map, when it probably just means it their most ambitious and expansive game. Doesn't imply that it's their biggest map at all.

Rockstar is unpredictable.

That's true, i did think that at first. But I'm just thinking literally. If it's their biggest most ambitious project to date. It must be a very large amount of work, which hopefully means a large sandbox.