The streets seem to spaced out in Fitty's map but otherwise it is the best map I have seen that is complete. I saw 95% of the real map somewhere on this site.

Okay, I'm convinced Rockstar has either accidentally used structures [far] outside of Southern California or they are really stretching their "reimagination" of it.

First is the rail bridge. Since the first screenshot of it the only match I found was one in Canada - a very good match. I had searched Google 10 different ways for a rail bridge in Southern California and it actually popped up in the image results for "truss arch rail bridge california". The real bridge is Stoney Creek Bridge in British Columbia:

official-screenshot-parachute-over-rail-bridge.jpgEastbound_over_SCB.jpg

Now here's what I was looking at just now. In this next screencap you can see a motel in the background (individual yellow boxes with the letters and some signage under it including a red arrow). Searching Google for "route 66 motel california" brings up an image of an almost exact motel sign for Glancy Motel which is on historic Route 66. The problem is that it's in Oklahoma.

sw7k.pngmcwn.jpg

There have been a few others that I can't think of off-hand where a similar structure was a little far from Southern California.

/rant

• Like 2

Okay, I'm convinced Rockstar has either accidentally used structures [far] outside of Southern California or they are really stretching their "reimagination" of it.

First is the rail bridge. Since the first screenshot of it the only match I found was one in Canada - a very good match. I had searched Google 10 different ways for a rail bridge in Southern California and it actually popped up in the image results for "truss arch rail bridge california". The real bridge is Stoney Creek Bridge in British Columbia:

official-screenshot-parachute-over-rail-bridge.jpgEastbound_over_SCB.jpg

Now here's what I was looking at just now. In this next screencap you can see a motel in the background (individual yellow boxes with the letters and some signage under it including a red arrow). Searching Google for "route 66 motel california" brings up an image of an almost exact motel sign for Glancy Motel which is on historic Route 66. The problem is that it's in Oklahoma.

sw7k.pngmcwn.jpg

There have been a few others that I can't think of off-hand where a similar structure was a little far from Southern California.

/rant

Damn you were busy.

/rant

So much for the on-site investigations of sites in and around Los Angeles Rockstar said they did.

It looks like they just did a bunch of image searches, instead of actually scouting any real locations...

i don't see the big deal.

these things are out in the middle of nowhere in the country. i could see it being a big deal if it was in the city or something. but out in the middle of the country i don't really care. they probably just did google images for some of the stuff out in the country. it would be a lot of work for them to find things to photo graph in the country compared to the city.

i don't find it a big deal personally.

It's pretty safe to assume that they did it because the countryside or boring as shit, no matter where you are. If they didn't take some liberties and put more unique things in the countryside, the area wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

• Like 3

I have no doubts that they traveled around Southern California. It's more of a question "Did they fuck up or did they fill in a few things that they wanted?"

I'm willing to bet that they had a shot of the bridge in BC, and they lead landscape designer said something to the effect of, "Find me a rail bridge like that, but in California."

After finding no such bridge, they returned with the original image and no one was the wiser. Show biz.

• Like 2

It's quite different than Photoshop. It takes a little more time to make something but usually easier to alter things afterward. I actually made a GTA IV-style version of the GTA V map pretty quickly since it's easier to alter colors. :P

I'll have to Google some tutorials. I'd like to experiment with using Inkscape to recreate the actual map, come September.

It's quite different than Photoshop. It takes a little more time to make something but usually easier to alter things afterward. I actually made a GTA IV-style version of the GTA V map pretty quickly since it's easier to alter colors. :P

I'll have to Google some tutorials. I'd like to experiment with using Inkscape to recreate the actual map, come September.

Or you can join forces, and create an official iGTA5 - Points of Interest, Stunt Jump, Hidden Pickups/Packages map...?

• Like 2

Just need to check the in game footage again but i belive that while changing character the camera went to the left and therefore the prison is located on the left of the isle not the right , but ill just ceck that out tonight ( still at work atm ).

Just need to check the in game footage again but i belive that while changing character the camera went to the left and therefore the prison is located on the left of the isle not the right , but ill just ceck that out tonight ( still at work atm ).

The satellite map is rotated 90 degrees on the trailer, if that's what you mean't by the prison being left.

/rant

I have a feeling they just decided to take a bit of a poetic license in order to get the over all image they wanted. and it is not like there is not similarity to places in California as long as you are not to particular.

I found a few, but I am suddenly feeling very lazy and I don't feel like uploading them.

Not sure I see the problem here. A "re-imagined southern California" wouldn't require much re-imagining if it only included virtual representations of things that are found in real-world southern California...

In any case, good finds on the bridge and motel, Fitty.

• Like 1

Or you can join forces, and create an official iGTA5 - Points of Interest, Stunt Jump, Hidden Pickups/Packages map...?

Can I help. I make slightly alright maps.

/rant

I see your point but not that much of a problem here.

of course it's sort of disturbing that they place structures obviously far outside SoCal in a SoCal-ish map.

But to me, it's not like they are that prominent to their actual location.

Such a truss arch steel bridge could virtually be everywhere throughout north america for it's a sort of classic construction.

Same for the motel sign, the basic design leaks 1950s out of every vertex that makes for the 3d model so that it could aswell be inspired by thousands of 50s era motels. even if there's an equal sign somewhere in OK it doesn't make it feel out of place in a SoCal environment.

I mean, if we were talking about real prominent landmarks that R* blatantly placed around San Andreas that are not associated with SoCal at all, say Mt. Rushmore or St. Louis Gateway Arch or any other landmark building/structure outside Socal it would be a whole lot of a different story because it would ruin the SoCal-reimagination.

But with these 2 examples (and I guess there's more of the likes) it's ok to have it like this imho.

Of course it feels wrong to use them if there's probably enough real objects in SoCal that could be used instead but as long as it feel authentic when exploring the new San Andreas it doesn't bother me too much

How about the pecker making a return in Paleto:

it says chicken festival so it would be logical for it to be there.

gameplay-1-heres-my-plan.jpg

Buy the way this is the pecker:

300px-WorldsBiggestCock.jpg

Oh and about the landmarks, it doesn't matter if the bridge is really close to LA or not.

Look at the airport in Liberty city it was based on one somewhere in Oklahoma or somewhere.