Sign in to follow this  
DuPz0r

Real World Cars

Rockstar North/ DMA Design had to invent their cars due to their budget (GTA I-III) and possibly because they wouldn't be allowed to get real cars in anyway. But they decided to keep their brand of cars on to the next gen too. Do you think the next generation of GTA (not the next instalment) will ever have licences to use real world car makes and models?

Most racing games these days are allowed to have crash models of their vehicles. so it's possible... i know GTA is a bit controversial in it's gameplay style. And maybe the Big brand companies may not like this. But I thought this could make good discussion.

Also, Would you like to see real world vehicles in GTA at some point? the modding community seem to love having real vehicles in their games for some reason. And it seems like a lot of people like it.

I personally think it would be good. But I'd miss some of the established GTA world cars. (even though they're based on real cars anyway). But I don't think it will happen, just because it would be a bad image for most car companies. Especially the supercar giants.

I'm not sure if GTA will ever get real cars. I think it is more of a budget issue than a "will they let us put their car in our game" thing. If the car companies are getting paid plenty they would probably let R* do it. Plus if one car brand is in, there would have to be others. Can't have one actual brand among GTA ones. Would be weird and seem like a sponsorship in my opinion. So that would rack up the budget with all kinds of licensing. Especially for the super cars.

I don't mind the GTA-brand vehicles. Even if they put in real cars, modders would still be putting in their favorites that aren't in the game. Favorites is what that comes down to.

R* could "make money" putting real cars in the game i would think (not sure if that's possible but it sounds right to me)... it's advertising... they used real cars in LA Noire so i wonder if perhaps they've already purchased those licenses... but i too would be disappointed if they used real cars, i love the cars they've already established and i recognize most of the names that when i see a car driving by, i usually know what it is...

i can't remember how many times i predicted what car i was about to climb into in GTAIV because of past games...

As bones said, I prefer the GTA cars anyway. Part of the fun is guessing which real world car they are based on. Also, it would seem odd to suddenly have real car names at this point.

To remove the classic car names like the Infernus, Stallion, Banshee etc. would be a crime, those cars have been part of the series since III. Also it's another opportunity for R* to take humourous jabs at real world car companies. Having real world cars would spoil the game for me, most other games nowadays have real cars, so in that sense GTA is unique.

• Like 1

Good points guys. I was thinking the same tbh. I do love the original cars, but I was looking at some "real cars" mod at the time and some guys have replaced all the cars on IV with the real world versions. It got me thinking...

Guest Marney1

I like driving vans in GTA and wouldn't mind cruising round in this:

jmxb.jpg

GTA is so different from racing games. In a racing game, all the cars are more or less comparable. In GTA you have many more cars and many of them are not very good compared to others. A car model that is okay in the real world could feel like a crapmobile in a game where you can drive a supercar one minute and a regular car the next.

The manufacturer of a normal car would maybe not like to have their car in a setting like this. If a player thinks a car is crap in the game, it could possibly give bad associations with the real world car. I'm not sure this is how it is but I think it's possible.

Legally, what is the difference between putting a car in a movie and a game? Cars in films are real (it would not be easy to design new car models for the movie!), I can't imagine that the makers of films in which cars are prominent have to pay royalties to car manufacturers. But in a movie, the cars are photographed, not re-created digitally. This is perhaps the crux. But what if the game version of the car is based on real photos and not re-created?

It would be fun with real world cars, especially old car models. Nowadays most cars look the same and are quite boring. But I certainly don't mind if Rockstar continue to use their fictional car names, and this is perhaps what I prefer.

No.. At least I hope not. It's just not GTA style at all. GTA always parodied RL brands, companies and everything else. That's what makes it special.

It just wouldn't feel right lol.

• Like 1