Indy

Mobile Devices

Thanks for the honest opinion Brian.

I've owned both but the last iPhone I had was a 3S. I'm unfamiliar with the new iPhones, but with my experience you're right in the sense that they're more reliable and less buggy, but I also agree with Dup that their locked-up OS and incompatibility with everything that isn't Apple is completely fucking retarded, and it seriously turns me away from Apple products in general. But I find my main problems with phones don't come from the age old iOS vs Android argument, every problem I've had in the past has been the phone itself, from not receiving texts for a week to just having general shitty parts and breaking after 4 months. I want to know what is a Decent Phone, not what operating system is better At this point the main reason I want an iPhone is because I wouldn't have to seperate my phone and iPod as I've been doing since my 3S bit the dust, plus my iPod Touch 4 is seriously outdated now. That, and my online yugioh simulator just got ported to iOS.

But is it really worth spending the money? If I start a new contract I'm still paying close to $400 for a 32GB model, when I could just get a zero dollar Droid phone. Also, is the Windows phone by HTC any good? I can get one outright for $50 but I have serious doubts about a windows OS on a phone.

Windows is a great system if you don't use any apps. It has virtually none on there. My Nokia worked well but had no apps and it was rather frustrating at times.

I've had a few HTCs and although at first they are okay - the memory sucks. Just the way it stores things, it saves to the main memory and is a real pain.

Been looking around and there's a local company that offers unlimited talk text and data for $40 a month, I might get a Galaxy with them, or a friend suggested buying a Nexus 5 outright because it's apparently the best fucking phone ever according to him. And the price to buy it outright is the same price as an iPhone 6 on a 2-year contract, I figure the nexus might be worth a shot in the dark.

Thanks for the honest opinion Brian.

I've owned both but the last iPhone I had was a 3S. I'm unfamiliar with the new iPhones, but with my experience you're right in the sense that they're more reliable and less buggy, but I also agree with Dup that their locked-up OS and incompatibility with everything that isn't Apple is completely fucking retarded, and it seriously turns me away from Apple products in general. But I find my main problems with phones don't come from the age old iOS vs Android argument, every problem I've had in the past has been the phone itself, from not receiving texts for a week to just having general shitty parts and breaking after 4 months. I want to know what is a Decent Phone, not what operating system is better At this point the main reason I want an iPhone is because I wouldn't have to seperate my phone and iPod as I've been doing since my 3S bit the dust, plus my iPod Touch 4 is seriously outdated now. That, and my online yugioh simulator just got ported to iOS.

But is it really worth spending the money? If I start a new contract I'm still paying close to $400 for a 32GB model, when I could just get a zero dollar Droid phone. Also, is the Windows phone by HTC any good? I can get one outright for $50 but I have serious doubts about a windows OS on a phone.

Saying Apple products are incompatible with non-Apple products is false. In fact, I find it very easy to sync my iPhone and iPad with my windows PC. iTunes runs flawlessly on my PC, and it has everything needed to back up my devices. I can watch iTunes movies or TV Shows that I rent/buy right from my computer if I wanted, or listen to music. I can even transfer files into iTunes with ease, then sync them onto my phone (music, video files you may want, etc.). Also, Apple has introduced Home Sharing, iCloud, and Air Play. Home Sharing lets you transfer files between up to five computers in your household with your iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, etc. as long as it has iTunes. iCloud stores files such as music you buy (you can actually use iCloud to listen to songs on your device if you want without downloading them).

You can now also access many types of files thanks to the huge selection of Apps available. Don't like Apple's Mail app? Download Gmail directly instead. Want to use Chrome instead of Safari as a browser on your phone? No problem. Microsoft also just released Word, Excel, and Power Point for free on the App Store, and you can use things like Drop Box to store files too. Apple devices can also read PDF.

Since iPhones are popular too you can use iMessage between your friends. When you text someone with an iPhone it automatically sends as iMessage instead of a text, so you don't get charged if you don't have unlimited texting. Apple also has some of the best customer service in my opinion. If something is wrong with a device and they can't fix it after two or three times, they'll actually give you a brand new device of the newest model for free. One of my friends had a MacBook that just couldn't be fixed and they gave him the next year's model.

I'd say it is definitely worth the money. You can get an iPhone 5 for pretty cheap, but I'd recommend getting at least the 5s now. If you could spend the money and get a 6. Many are saying the 6 Plus battery lasts them nearly 12 hours before they may need to plug it in.

Got my iPhone plus today. Very nice.

Mine is still back ordered <_<

Comparability with a PC is not what I'm talking about really. None of the apple devices I've owned have allowed me to access my music files through a Playstation, Xbox, or other gaming device, it was literally easier for me to put all my music on a flash drive than alter assloads of settings to get music to my PS3 or listen on Xbox. Plus when I had my 3S the only way to actually access the file system was for me to download an open source program on my PC and access it through that, otherwise everything was done through itunes or another approved Apple Program/application. Apple devices are compatible with non apple devices provided you take all the steps apple demands you take and keeps it limited through apple exclusive programs and services.

Regardless, I don't want this to turn into an argument or discussion really, when it comes down to it I'm against the iPhone because I think the price is sheer ridiculousness.

I never knew people used their consoles to actually listen to music tbh.

But, like I said, in the US anyway contract phones cost $400 at most, and a year or two down the line only lose $50-$100 in value from that price, and the cheaper models can be sold for the same or more. So in fairness when you get an iPhone for $199 or $299 and keep it for a few years, it isn't overpriced.

iPhone is incomparable with other products. If you buy a song on iTunes, you can only play it using Apple software, and if you want to play it away from a computer, you have to have an iPhone or iPad... If you buy a song on android you can play it on any phone that uses android....

Same thing with the apps. I'm not going to argue that fact... But that's really only an issue of you want to switch, and for me the iPhone is still the best phone out there.

I never knew people used their consoles to actually listen to music tbh.

But, like I said, in the US anyway contract phones cost $400 at most, and a year or two down the line only lose $50-$100 in value from that price, and the cheaper models can be sold for the same or more. So in fairness when you get an iPhone for $199 or $299 and keep it for a few years, it isn't overpriced.

Xbox games with your own beats is amazing, but I can't get half of them to play because of Apple restrictions.

And that's $400 on a contract, when I could get the same contract with a similar phone that I pay only $50 or maybe nothing for. Or I could buy a phone outright and not be stuck in a 2-year contract for the same price. When it comes down to it I'd be paying an extra $400 for something I simply want, and don't need.

EDIT: That said, I'm still on the fence, I'm sure if I can find a cheap used iPhone at a flea-market and a carrier that isn't binding as fuck I'll consider it.

We aren't arguing at all. We're giving suggestions with personal experience and opinion. Phones are different in functionality, build quality, and how they hold their value.

What specifically do you do that you couldn't do on iOS?

Everone talks about the super uber things they are doing on androids, but there's never any specifics... Maybe I'm missing out on something..

Apparently you can Remote play PS4 from many android phones now, including Samsung Galaxy.

What specifically do you do that you couldn't do on iOS?

Everone talks about the super uber things they are doing on androids, but there's never any specifics... Maybe I'm missing out on something..

Apparently you can Remote play PS4 from many android phones now, including Samsung Galaxy.

... but you don't do it?

I really love the larger screen, this thing is so much better than the note 2

I'm really excited, and I'm glad it didn't take until November to ship.