JamieMilne

Mafia Series

Oh hell yeah. 1968 New Orleans looks fucking great to me. The graphics look polished and pretty. The gunplay looks pretty good. I'm hoping the cover system isn't too important of an aspect, kind of like GTAIV where you hide behind everything. It has potential. And the hideout aspect makes off-mission/freeroam seem like it will have more to it than previous Mafia games.

• Like 2

I know this new footage is still pre-alpha. But damn, it already looks polished as fuck. I really like the look of this game so far.

Also, the developer touched on a few things that i was worried about which sucked in Mafia 2. The main one being that freeroam was a dead empty shell.

• Like 1

Anyone else loking forward to the Mafia 3 release?

I do wonder, is this game running on the RAGE engine? because it's a 2K game, and it looks distinctivley similar to GTA V. The vehicle shaders, the lighting, the HUD mini-map, the weapon wheel, is all so very similar. 

Mafia 2 / Mafia 3 / GTA V

minimap.png

MAfia 3 / GTA V

weaponwheel.png

Mafia-3-DLC-Season-Pass-Plan-PS4-PS4TalkDE-Outfits.jpeg?fit=1024%2C576

no mulitplayer, so i am not as interested in it... i'll see what i think leading up to release tho, mafia 2 was really good, but after the story, there wasn't anything to do... i get the feeling this one will be just as story-driven, but without the stuff to keep you coming back...

ehhhh, better :P... i dunno tho, i am not sure i want to commit to this game... it looks like they borrowed a lot from GTA, but something about the time period puts me off... i want a 30s-50s mafia game... the late 60's, and in the dark quarters of new orleans just doesn't feel like a mafia game... sure there were black mafias and gangs in that area, but they should of kept it in the timezone i mentioned... 30s or even 40s new orleans was rich in black history...

i dunno... i might try to rent this game, but i am not sure i want to buy it...

While the founders initially immigrated to New York, the American mafia actually started in New Orleans in the late 1800's. The New Orleans mob reached its height and subsequent decline in exactly the time period the game takes place in.

Unrelated: The New York mob was at its best in the 70's.

I haven't played any previous Mafia games but I will definitely give this one a go... open world set in the late 60's - love it.  I liked the scene in the trailer of the KKK massacre.  The soundtrack will be awesome.

Looks interesting, saw the advert on telly and it certainly intrigued me. However I remember my disappointment with the last one which is putting me off. It feels refreshing that it isn't a generic "mafia" game though. I won't get it at release but maybe down the line somewhere.

• Like 1

Some of the gameplay look ROUGH. I remember this one gameplay video has Lincoln taking out a gang hideout and when he threw a grenade the enemies it hit slid across the floor in a sitting animation because they were in chairs.

It looks unfinished. And the driving looks like a headache.

Truth is, the game is rough around the edges. It has some lighting and depth of field issues which can make ths game look a little blurred and over reflective at times. Some of this may get fixed in patches. It isn't a polished technical masterpiece like that of Uncharted or Last of Us.

But if you play it for an hour and don't get sucked into the fictional world of New Bordeaux (New Orleans) with the period vehicles, shops, radio stations and culture, then you aren't playing it right. Just like GTA, the world just works. The details, the atmosphere and culture is so on point, it feels like you're part of the late 60's, even if you aren't a relatable Afro-american male.

PS_Messages_20161009_122955.jpg

There is an option to change vehicle handling from normal to simulation. And in my opinion, Simulation feels like GTA IV's boat car handling which i prefer to be honest...

I'd say this game is like an uncut diamond. Rough around the edges but at it's core it's a gem that pleases in the right way.

• Like 3

I made it through Watch Dogs just fine, and enjoyed it enough that I'm buying the second one, so I don't think some sub-par gunplay will bother me much, in this game. It looks gorgeous, and most of the bugs I've read about are the kind of shit you only notice if you're a nitpicking prick who's actively searching for things to bitch about on the internet.

I did notice the streets are practically empty, in those last two screens. Is that often the case, or are there loading issues that mean pedestrians sometimes don't spawn?

Also, I wonder how many of the people bitching about the driving actually know that you have two options.

The draw distance is a bit low when you compare it to GTAV. Pedestrians do pop in at times. There is times where peds spawn at a larger rate than other times. I'm always mowing them down whilst doing missions, especially eyewitnesses.

PS_Messages_20161009_205643.jpg

Some of the jobs on the map are a little repetitive, now i've got further in, but nothing to put me off playing or anything. It's just the empire building tasks. The story is still solidly enjoyable.

I've got into this a bit more and would say it's an enjoyable GTA clone.  Seen all the game play before and I quite like the cover system - I can't remember SP in GTAV but I think it is similar to that.  I'm only about a third of the way through but I keep getting distracted by the collectibles, I mean, who can resist titties?? 

If Sleeping Dogs was GTA: Hong Kong, then this is GTA: New Orleans... It misses the satirical humour but the setting and soundtrack are pretty awesome.  I would love Rockstar to visit the 60's-70's...

• Like 1

From what i've seen of this game it's a glitchy, bug-ridden piece of shit with ridiculously bad AI and clunky controls. However the cutscenes look impressive and the characters are somewhat likeable. The story - the bit of it i've watched - is your pretty standard tale of revenge. The extra stuff seems like it was taken straight out of any Ubisoft game; go to a district and interact with something to uncover that area of map, fuck up an area's productivity until the boss comes out to fight you.

It's something I may pick up eventually when it's cheap enough, although i've still not picked up the Witcher 3, there's something offputting about that game to me too.

Edited by ViceMan

Every game is apparently a glitchy, bug-ridden piece of shit, nowadays. Everything I read for every game (cookie-cutter moneymakers like CoD excluded - surprise surprise) batters it for being buggy, but I never see anything of the sort, if I play the game myself. Review sites are just there to shit on something vaguely interesting, and praise what they're paid to praise.

Witcher 3 was pretty decent. Not at all worthy of the circlejerk people had when it first came out, but decent. Their rabid fanbase is the reason Fallout 4 had such a shitty user score on Metacritic. That and those nostalgic mongoloids at NMA.