yea Valverde hasn't been very good this postseason. Actually he's been horrible. But Coke should be enough honestly. Who would you feel more comfertable playing in the world series? Giants or Cards?

fucking rain delays for both games today... tigers will have to delay it 'till tomorrow...

i think we could beat both of them honestly... the cards scare me a little more because of how hot they were entering the playoffs, plus there's bad blood in that series... they beat us in the world series back in '06, both leyland and la russa(not there anymore i know) are best friends, and we've always had tough games every time we met... but i still think we could beat them...

right now, the tigers and cards are the best teams... but that's easy to say since we're up 3-0 and the cards are up 2-1 now... but going into the playoffs, you could of said the same thing... i thought the reds would of beat the giants, but the giants are playing well in the playoffs...

it's funny, you hear it all the time in all sports, but the playoffs are a second season... stats and records all reset and you start over... it's those that enter the playoffs hot and with a good team that tend to sustain that turnover... the tigers had to get hot to win the division from the sox, and the cards had to practically win out to secure a wild card spot... and we're both good teams, we rolled over other teams that were hot...

i could talk baseball all day... i fucking LOVE baseball...

Any American that says they hate baseball are either A. They don't understand it. Or B. They think its "boring". I can see it bieng boring if you don't understand the game but if you know the game and the stradagy behind it, its amazing. Okay ima give you a play bones, Runner on first, its Jackson. 1 out. Fielder is up. is only 1 for 20 lifetime with 10 k's against this pitcher. young is on deck with so so numbers against him. Now pretend your the other team. Do you pitch to fielder who could hit a homerun at anytime. or do you pitch around him and go for young? also jackson is on first, do you call a pitchout?

Another play.... Tied game. 7th game of the world series. your the home team. jackson hits a 1 out triple. berry is up. do you squeeze play? do you let him swing away? and if your the other team, do you move the infield in? do you pitch around berry to set up the easier double play but with miguel on deck?

So much damn stradagy which is what makes baseball great.

1st - why would you pitch around fielder if jackson is on first?? all you're doing is putting a runner in scoring position, with one out, with a batter that has had success against you... when you have protection in the lineup, you get more opportunities... it's really why cabrera had such a good season, he had protection all around him... and in this instance, fielder has protection...

i would definitely keep my eye on jackson though, if he reaches second, the double play is no longer a factor, and with a guy that's struck out 10 times against you, and has probably a few GIDP's against you, you definitely don't want jackson to get a free base in this situation... which also ties back into why you wouldn't pitch around fielder either... you don't want jackson in scoring position with one out... he's got 2 chances to round 3rd, and with his speed, he won't have a problem...

2nd - you move the infield in, and pitch to him... it's too risky to take away baserunners from the triple crown winner on deck, even if berry strikes out in the situation... the squeeze is a no-go with cabrera on deck...

yea, there's a ton of strategy to baseball... it's the ultimate chess game... and it's true, those that don't know the game, think it's boring... just like chess :lol:...

God i love baseball. Even though my angels arn't in the playoffs I can't keep away from baseball. Its infectious. The yelling at the T.v. screen if the ump blows a call ( kinda like the one with peralta going too far off second in game 2) and the yelling at the T.V. screen when someone just hit a walkoff homerun. And the other great thing about baseball, theres no time limit. you always got a chance till that last out is made.

it was infante, and that call wasn't as important to the game as it's being made out to be... yes, it's a cry for instant replay, but the yankees were already down by a run at that point, and they had only 4 hits the entire game, never getting a runner into scoring position...

so it had no effect on the game, but it does draw more attention to instant replay... i think i like the idea of an eye in the sky for the playoffs... an ump in a booth, that can call down to the umps to have them look at a play... but once you open pandora's box, every close play will start to get reviewed, and that's just going to take away from the game itself... it's a gentlemen's game, not a bunch of playboys with their own clothing lines, like other sports, where a close call could cost them millions in endorsements..

it was infante, and that call wasn't as important to the game as it's being made out to be... yes, it's a cry for instant replay, but the yankees were already down by a run at that point, and they had only 4 hits the entire game, never getting a runner into scoring position...

so it had no effect on the game, but it does draw more attention to instant replay... i think i like the idea of an eye in the sky for the playoffs... an ump in a booth, that can call down to the umps to have them look at a play... but once you open pandora's box, every close play will start to get reviewed, and that's just going to take away from the game itself... it's a gentlemen's game, not a bunch of playboys with their own clothing lines, like other sports, where a close call could cost them millions in endorsements..

Exactly. And if there wasn't blown calls there wouldnt be as much drama :D. Heres my take on it. They should make it like football but for baseball each coach gets 1 instant replay review. if you use it on one close call in the game you cant use it again. I think thats the way to settle it. Instant replay for everything but each manager only gets one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdr6SG_t1TU

i'd prefer a man in the sky... otherwise you'll get coaches getting upset and throwing flags just to get the umpire to come over and talk to them... i'd prefer someone up top who is called in on plays that are very questionable... i don't want to see flags being thrown on a bang bang play at first in the bottom of the 9th because the coach still had his challenge left...

Use to love watching the MLB when it was on Channel 5 in the UK on Sunday night/Monday mornings. Then Sky stole it (like everything else). Actually fell in love with the Red Sox, before they one the World Series in 2004, the whole 80 years curse, fenway park with the green monster, the rivalry they have with the Yankees, which at the time Red Sox were considered the underdogs., Manny, Nomar, Pedro, Damon, Wakefield with his weird pitches. Good times.

Haven't watched a game now though for probably 3 years+. But do want to go to Fenway one day to see a game. Weirdly all the American sports teams i've ever chosen to follow are all near each other, cos NFL it's Patriots, and NBA it's the Celtics, didn't happen on purpose just the teams i liked at the time of picking. Is there anytime of the year (i'm pretty sure there isn't) where the MLB, NFL, and NBA all play within a month of eachother?

Oh and talking of curses, have the Cubs won a World Series yet?

sigh, it's terrible to watch for those that don't understand the game... you'd be on the edge of your seat if you actually understood the strategy of the game... it's intense...

@craze - lol, the cubs will never break the curse... there is way too much pressure on them, nearly twice the amount the red sox had back on '04... they will never live up to the daunting pressure their fans and media have placed on them... they're happy being who they are; lovable losers... back in '03, the cubs collapsed over a simple foul ball... they can't handle it, and will never win a championship...

• Like 1

Only ever played softball in school, and only once too. they didn't let me play again after cos i kept forgetting to let go of the bat when i got a hit and in the end instead of dropping the bat after the hit I swung it back the way it came and released it with it then flying towards everyone waiting their turn to bat, no one got hurt unfortunately. <_<

edit: lol @ QD. They'll have to win it one day, just like Liverpool winning the title. Miracles do happen.

• Like 1

you mean, @bones right?? QD doesn't talk baseball, lol... but yea, they'll need a stroke of luck from god himself...

tigers/giants... two teams super hot at the moment... this should be a great series, and with verlander going in game one, i think our chances are definitely in our favor... we held the yankees to a 1.00 ERA in the last series... they couldn't score on our pitching... the best offense couldn't do it...

Apologize Bones, glanced at your Profile pic and thought it was QD's lol. Which either means you've changed yours recently or it's almost 5am and i'm tired, or both.

Don't really like either teams in it this year, but i've always dislike SF for some reason, probably cos when i watched baseball they only scored from the home runs that bonds got them.

well as you can tell from my avatar, i am pretty excited about this years world series... it's not often your team is there unless you root for the yankees... we embarrassed them in the last series, so you bet your ass they're going to go out and buy the 3 best available free agents this offseason... because that's what they do...

but teams like the tigers that put all their chips into a few marquee guys for a few years, deserve to get recognize every once and awhile... and it's also pretty cool to see teams like the marlins and rays that get there without spending much... we all hate the big market teams in baseball...

they have the money and they spend it like it's going out of style, just like your beloved red sox... their last off-season didn't pay off though, and they've since shed most of that, so they can spend more this off-season like the yankees...

ANGELS FOR LIFE MOTHA FUCKA :bird: But im going for Detroit in the world series just for the fact i live in Sacramento and I don't feel like hearing all there Giants fans chant how good they are.

Hopefully my Angels make the playoffs next year..... It's been too long.