cuda

What are you reading?

I picked up Enders Game randomly on holiday recently and couldn't put it down. I'm struggling with speaker of the dead though. Such a huge leap between the two books. Even between most of enders game and the last 2 chapters. I have to say, he should have let the character go and made the subsequent books stand alones. But I guess enders name alone was enough to sell the next book.

Yes, I'm very cynical.

Just finished the 3rd book in Mark Lawrence's 2nd trilogy, The Wheel of Osheim... another great series, not as epic as the first but still intelligently written with characters you can love and hate at the same time...

At the moment I am reading Margaret Atwood's The Heart Goes Last... brilliant writer who writes about the future as I can easily see it happening - corporate strength undermining democracy and tricking the populous into believing they are free when they are really just slaves to the system... thanks gtagrl. 

• Like 2

So I finished every single Outlander book for the second time; time to move out of that time period for a while, it's been a blast.

I looked for that^ Atwood book at the library but it was signed out, so I ended up with Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and Neal Stephenson's Anathem. I'm well into the Strange/Norrell story so far, really had to change gears from Gabaldon's flowing prose into Clarke's Ye Olde Englishe style of writing (and the somewhat distracting and at times lengthy footnotes), but it helps create the proper atmosphere for that world, enjoying the story very much so far.

Jonathan_strange_and_mr_norrell_cover.jp51Okzm3Aq6L._SX307_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

On 23/04/2015 at 10:15 AM, DuPz0r said:

Just got my hands on this book.

Image result for ready player one

Synopsis:

It's about a man who developed the most successful persistent online VR world, then died and left his billion dollar fortune to one lucky player who finds his "easter egg" in the world. And that's where the story begins.

It feels like a mixture of Willy Wonka, Indiana Jones, and The Matrix. So many cool retro and nostalgic references to the 70's, 80's and early 90's too. I can't put it down!

Yay, easily my favourite book of all time, has finally started shooting. Speilberg is on set in Birmingham, England atm filming a scene. 

onset03.jpg

onset02.jpg

onset01.jpg

Here's a very nice concept art for the movie which sums up the character perfectly.

1-fbJB281LdLNoBEJLIoYI_A.jpeg

Now i have to wait until 2018 for it to come out V.V

Back on topic,

I'm currently reading YOU by Austin Grossman, Pretty interesting idea, but the writing is a little flat so far...

• Like 2

On 9/20/2016 at 0:54 PM, DuPz0r said:

Yay, easily my favourite book of all time, has finally started shooting. Speilberg is on set in Birmingham, England atm filming a scene. 

onset03.jpg

onset02.jpg

onset01.jpg

Here's a very nice concept art for the movie which sums up the character perfectly.

1-fbJB281LdLNoBEJLIoYI_A.jpeg

Now i have to wait until 2018 for it to come out V.V

Back on topic,

I'm currently reading YOU by Austin Grossman, Pretty interesting idea, but the writing is a little flat so far...

this is the first book i've read in like 15 years... it was awesome, i can't wait to see the film!! :wub:

• Like 1

There is no way a film will do that book justice... none at all.

I am slowly moving through Stephen King's catalogue... I will never catch up because that dude writes faster than I can wank.  The Dark Tower series was very good.

Also, found another Canadian author to get into - Douglas Copeland.  His book Worst. Person. Ever. was one of the funniest books I've read for ages...

• Like 1

Reading Lev Grossman's (twin brother of Austin, mentioned above) The Magicians trilogy... very good fun... a cross between Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia written for adults...

After that, I have been driven by desperation to try Game of Thrones... hopefully, it is as good as people say

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginginho said:

After that, I have been driven by desperation to try Game of Thrones... hopefully, it is as good as people say

It's better. You won't regret it. It's messy and complicated and riveting and ruthless. My first time through the books, I had to keep referring to the character breakdown at the back of the book to keep everyone straight. 

Found Margaret Atwood's The Heart Goes Last at the library. (Y) score!

I'm also working my way through Neal Stephenson now, finished Snow Crash and just started Reamde, so far it's great. 

I also have discovered a rather humorous Canuck author, Terry Fallis, he's been a delight to read. No Relation is a hilarious tale of a guy who starts a support group for ordinary people that just happen to have the same name as famous people - actors, writers, athletes - after his life completely implodes. The Best Laid Plans made me chuckle, although perhaps only political junkies that are familiar with Ottawa (both the city and as the legislative capital of Canada) might like this book...I liked it, anyway.

• Like 1

Clearing out my books and going fully digital in the very near future, this is the first of what I have yet to read:

51ZobkeTmDL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's a few years old but it's still fairly relevant. Cybersecurity and national defense all in one, good stuff.

Up next is Gone Girl I think.

Not happy with how the Game of Thrones thing ended up... the books will be lore so put them down before condensing the story to accommodate television...  fuck that shit.  

Luckily...

Red%2BSister%2BCover.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/13/2017 at 10:21 PM, Ginginho said:

Red%2BSister%2BCover.jpg

Awesome book - a bit cliched in places (eg. Arya's story in GOT) but still a very good start to what I am sure will be another excellent trilogy from this author.  I can't say he is the best fantasy writer out there but he is the only one I can read easily, other than George RR Martin.

At the moment, I'm reading the authorised biography of Maynard James Keenan, lead singer of Tool, A Perfect Circle and more.  It's called A Perfect Union of Contrary Things.  What an interesting guy and he is so much different than the stereotypical hard rock star...  he is not really into drugs and alcohol and has a strong, independent character.  Very good read if you know who he is....

• Like 1

I just finished Big Little Lies which was really good and way better than the tv show. I have started the new one from the author of Girl On A Train but I just can't get into it so I might move on. 

I have the the game of thrones books but they are just so long I find it too daunting to read them. Hopefully I will at some point though 

Last week, I finished the third book in Neal Stephenson's The Baroque Cycle trilogy, which in order are as follows: Quicksilver, The Confusion, and The System of the World. Really amazing historical period (Isaac Newton/Liebniz/Royal Society! pirates! wars! plague! hangings!), and fascinating to see how the concept of banking was devised and introduced to society. 

I will be honest and say the first half of the third book was a slog (I've literally been reading the trilogy for over a year, so by the time winter kicked in, I wasn't feeling it as much anymore), but the second half fortunately picked up and drew all the storylines and characters together into a wonderful end. He's a brilliant author, but reader beware: some of his books are page-turners, and some of them will require a dictionary close by. 

For @Ginginho and any other Margaret Atwood fans: the CBC produced an excellent TV miniseries based on her novel Alias Grace in the fall of 2017, really well done and highly recommended. They should have it available on their website to watch, country-streaming-restrictions notwithstanding. I tore my house apart looking for my copy of the book because (naturally) I wanted to re-read it after seeing the TV show...couldn't find it anywhere, so I borrowed the e-book from the library. Started it on Friday, couldn't put it down, finished it Sunday morning. Finally, a story that flows through you effortlessly.

So yeah - fuck you, Neal - I can so finish a book. :P 

I'm going to look for anything else of Stephenson's at the library that I haven't read yet, then time to sort through xmas gift books and a stack my co-worker lent me - will report back if any of those are worth reading!