Vance

I don't get the realism thing

Heh. Hells yeah.

For me the need for realism, or a lack thereof, is really going to depend on the story. Is it gonna be all dark and cynical like IV? Or are we gonna have fun fun fun like VC and SA?

IV needed the drab realism to tell the sad tale of Nico, and the same goes for TLAD. I think we can all agree TBoGT was just good and wacky, but again that became a necessity due to the story. SA and VC gave us that same goofy feeling.

From the first trailer, compared to IV's, we're already headed in a lighter direction. IV was all gloom and doom, Nico talking about his sins, wondering if things can be different. In V, we listen to the narrator talk about dreams of a simple life, only to accept that life ain't easy. Far less dramatic. And music! VI's is oppressive, while V's opens relaxed, gets dramatic, and then levels out. I think we may be in store for a more light hearted, fun GTA. But the state of San Andreas calls for that anyway.

• Like 1

its called setting an atmosphere, it is done in many types of media. atmospheres in video games are usually stereo-typical, in this case you are contrasting the atmosphere of Liberty city and San Andreas. now new York is always going to be deemed as a dark gloomy city: that is most likely where all the emotion in GTA 4 came from. that apposed to Los Angeles, which is almost always shown as a colorful vibrant place with a cheery mood to it. hence, the sadness and all that will leave, but the realism will stay.

• Like 1

It should contain a good blend of realism (car handling), believability (story line, characters), satire (pick your favourite - pings!) and funny, hilarious physics.

Considering the fact that the engine block isn't invincible, it's less realistic in the terms of how long it took to explode, which is good. A lot of times if you get into a head on crash, the car will erupt slowly or instantly.

Here's an example http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Five-dead-in-wrong-way-wreck-in-Mesquite-155891755.html

Imagine having more of a destructible environment?

Could the RAGE engine actually be able to render and simulate big destruction environments, I've seen it handle the cover being blown apart and small pieces of concrete flying off walls but could it stand buildings falling down and etc... That would be actually cool to see.

Could the RAGE engine actually be able to render and simulate big destruction environments, I've seen it handle the cover being blown apart and small pieces of concrete flying off walls but could it stand buildings falling down and etc... That would be actually cool to see.

I doubt that would happen in a console. however a simulation would not suit as bad.

e.x.

mercenaries 2

just cause 2

battlefield 3

given that if certain building takes certain damage in certain areas it will eventually collapse as a scripted animation. but what are the chances really of that happening. we have not seen anything like it in the gta world.

maybe on the next generation consoles or a high end pc we will see real-time destruction of buildings where everything would be destroy-able from elevators, to pillars, to doors and walls.

Resident Evil Operation Fuckyour City had nice destroy-able lights and so did max payne 3, almost every light is destroy-able. I just hope they do a better job with cars taking damage. armor piercing bullets should penetrate vehicle doors, and hit the gas tanks pretty easily, but I have never been able to make my old fiat explode with my 9mm beretta. I think they should make that a little more believable and not so user friendly.

they could probably rework the whole "you cannot drive with your wheels popped man unless you have a V8" system.

Guest Marney-1

Like this?

Like this?

Yeah something like that, and over time the same building could possibly be re-constructed back to its original form over time but it would make a little more sense to have this feature as a multiplayer thing instead of single player if you think about it...

I can't see how it would be a bad thing, one of the best things about GTA has always been creating carnage and this would only add to that. That being said, I don't think they will add it but if they did, it wouldn't detract from the game at all.