Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Release date: 11.11.11
Genre: Role Playing Game
Platform: Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3
Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
Skyrim is the fifth installment in the Elder Scrolls series. For those who don't know, it has evolved into a first-person/third-person open world RPG. Skyrim takes place 200 years after its predecessor, Oblivion. The province of Skyrim has erupted into civil war after the assassination of its king. During this time, the God Alduin has risen in the form of a dragon, whose sole purpose is to destroy the world. The player takes control of the last Dragonborn and must face Alduin to save Skyrim from destruction.
List of some features
- Perk system (similar to fallout 3)
- Dual wielding
- Skills level up the more they are used
- Activities such as farming, mining, woodcutting and cooking
- Vastly improved AI and graphics
- Dynamically conditioned quests
- Traditionally in an assassination quest, we would pick someone of interest and have you assassinate them," Howard explained. "Now there is a template for an assassination mission and the game can conditionalize all the roles – where it happens, under what conditions does it take place, who wants someone assassinated, and who they want assassinated. All this can be generated based on where the character is, who he's met. They can conditionalize that someone who you've done a quest for before wants someone assassinated, and the target could be someone with whom you've spent a lot of time before
By looking at previous Bethesda titles, it is evident to see a refinement in the game engine and consequently the graphics. Below is an image that shows the evolution of character models.
(Left to right) Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas
Compare this image to some pictures in the media section to see the improvement.
Gameplay trailer analysis (IGN)
The Elder Scrolls Evolved: What's new in Skyrim