Sign in to follow this  
City of Dis

Occupy Wall Street

With GTA V seemingly focusing on the financial crisis and the growing dichotomy of the rich and the poor, does anyone think that Rockstar will insert some sort of version of the Occupy movement?

The sight of a forclosure sign or a bum or two does not equal a story focus on the "financial crisis and the growing dichotomy of the rich and the poor".

I can see it being referenced or maybe talked about, but not a focus or major plot point. That's just not GTA.

-EDIT-

In fact Rockstar has already stated the the game "focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar" which is about as opposite OWS as you can get. ;)

perfect for some sort of "bash those commie bastards" mission.

OWS goes contra, the game goes pro. Still far fetched from a focal point for storywriting, but definitily worth a mission.

The sight of a forclosure sign or a bum or two does not equal a story focus on the "financial crisis and the growing dichotomy of the rich and the poor".

I can see it being referenced or maybe talked about, but not a focus or major plot point. That's just not GTA.

-EDIT-

In fact Rockstar has already stated the the game "focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar" which is about as opposite OWS as you can get. ;)

It's pretty obvious that the game is going to focus on the financial crisis from the tone and indications of the trailer. Literally every professional trailer analysis has conjectured just that. Also notice how the trailer switched back between scenes of luxury and scenes of poverty. Notice the guy down on his luck looking askance at the guy in the nice sweater.

"Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California." -Rockstar Games

Why does it show bums or slums? Cause both exist in Los Angeles. If the game focus is on the pursuit of money then OWS can't have a major role in the plot.

BTW, all those 'professional trailer analysis' have been a lot of bullshit. Going on about 'Is that Tommy?! OOOOHHHH CJ!!!1!' <_<Ours is much better.

Besides, an OWS/financial crisis focus doesn't match up with a GTA game. You'll be involved with crime lords etc., not people squatting in a park protesting.

I'm thinking Occupy Wall Street will be in the game as banter for the radio if the radio hasn't been completed yet. I think Lazlow could run with it :D

I'm thinking Occupy Wall Street will be in the game as banter for the radio if the radio hasn't been completed yet. I think Lazlow could run with it :D

Agreed. If it gets added it wont be part of the plot, but if it is they'll probably take the piss on the radio/have it as an easter egg or something. A few people sat on a bench with 'Occupy Los Santos' signs maybe.

IV was pretty up with pop culture and had references to real life events. Would make sense for this to be in V somewhere if rockstar arent too far into development.

Actually, Rockstar Games have already taken a pot-shot at the Occupy movement in their Grand Theft Auto franchise, they just did it about ten years before the actual event...

They should have this guy back on to talk about the Occupy movement, he'd be perfect for the role

Guest Marney1

Actually, Rockstar Games have already taken a pot-shot at the Occupy movement in their Grand Theft Auto franchise, they just did it about ten years before the actual event...

They should have this guy back on to talk about the Occupy movement, he'd be perfect for the role

Vegan barbecue, yummee!

"Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California." -Rockstar Games

Why does it show bums or slums? Cause both exist in Los Angeles. If the game focus is on the pursuit of money then OWS can't have a major role in the plot.

BTW, all those 'professional trailer analysis' have been a lot of bullshit. Going on about 'Is that Tommy?! OOOOHHHH CJ!!!1!' <_<Ours is much better.

Besides, an OWS/financial crisis focus doesn't match up with a GTA game. You'll be involved with crime lords etc., not people squatting in a park protesting.

Okay just think. Just think for a second. Why would they have a scene of guy putting up a foreclosure sign? Why? What other possible reason could Rockstar have other than showing that the game will take place during the recession?

I never said that OWS would have a major role in the plot. I just asked if people thought that maybe OWS would get a mention on the radio, the internet, or hell, maybe even a protest.

Okay just think. Just think for a second. Why would they have a scene of guy putting up a foreclosure sign? . . . .

Because he didn't pay his bills? Just that one sign doesn't mean Occupy Wall Street will be apart of the game. Foreclosures happen all the time.

Okay just think. Just think for a second. Why would they have a scene of guy putting up a foreclosure sign? . . . .

Because he didn't pay his bills? Just that one sign doesn't mean Occupy Wall Street will be apart of the game. Foreclosures happen all the time.

I didn't say that. I said that the foreclosure sign was an obvious indication that the game will take place in the aftermath of the financial crisis i.e. anytime between late 2007 and now.

Because the Occupy movement has become an iconic part of the whole "Great Recession (I put that in quotations because I hate that term), I only wonder if Rockstar will somehow incorporate it. I'm not saying that they definitely will, like a lot of people in this thread have said, it depends on how far they are in development.